A pair of Next jelly sandals reportedly caused agonizing cuts to a 2-year-old Blackpool toddler’s feet, and after only a half an hour of wearing the shoes. According to Esmé Connor’s mom Lisa, the Next jelly sandals had been a birthday gift to the 2-year-old. She says that she put the shoes on her daughter and roughly a half an hour later, the little girl was screaming in pain after suffering deep incisions to her right ankle, reports the Daily Mail.
Lisa Connor was completely shocked and appalled by the condition of her little girl’s foot, and she took photos of the injuries to share on social media. According to Connor, she wanted to warn other parents about the potential dangers of the Next jelly sandals, and she’s also called on Next to recall the shoes to ensure that no other children are injured by them.
According to Esmé’s mom, the toddler wasn’t engaged in any kind of activity that would explain why she was so badly injured by the shoes.
“Esmé was in absolute agony. I couldn’t believe it because she had only been wearing them for half an hour. It’s not like she was running around in them for hours. She was just plodding around the house and then came running in in tears.”
Lisa Connor said that the little girl received the Next jelly sandals on Friday. Immediately after she put them on her daughter’s feet, the little girl told her that they weren’t comfortable, so her mom took them off right away. The subject of the shoes didn’t come up again for a couple of days, and Lisa’s fiancé didn’t know that the Next jelly sandals had caused the 2-year-old discomfort when she’d tried them on, so he put them back on her feet on Monday morning.
About a half an hour later, the little one came back inside the house screaming and crying hysterically, her tiny foot covered in blood. Reportedly, it took hours to console the 2-year-old after she was injured by the Next jelly sandals. According to her mother, at least one of the cuts was very deep, and the injuries to her daughter’s foot were severe enough that she hasn’t been able to wear shoes since the Next jelly sandals were taken off of her feet.
Lisa says that her fiancé Niall was able to treat the little girl’s injuries at home with just a good washing and a bandage, but they are still “incredibly sore.”
Reportedly, only the right foot was affected severely by the exposure to the Next jelly sandals. Lisa Connor says that she understands that some new shoes are bound to rub and/or cause discomfort or even a blister, but her daughter’s injuries from the Next jelly sandals were much too severe to be considered the nominal discomfort of a new pair of shoes, which is why she wants the jelly sandals to be recalled.
“The sandals are made from a jelly material so I don’t know if that’s what’s caused the problem. The worst cut is just under her ankle bone.”
According to Lisa, she’s “really disappointed” that her daughter was injured by the Next sandals, because she says that’s where she does all of her clothes shopping. She also says that after she posted the pictures of her daughter’s Next jelly sandal injuries, she was contacted by other parents who said that they had had similar problems with the shoes.
Next has responded to the story of the jelly sandal injuries with an apology through a spokeswoman.
“We are terribly sorry for the distress caused and we are taking this matter very seriously. We’ve asked for this pair of shoes to be returned so we can carry out a detailed inspection of this shoe, since this is the first complaint of this nature that we’ve received.”
The Mirror reports that since the public statement was made, the Next jelly shoes were recalled by the company.
What do you think? Was the Next recall of the jelly shoes an appropriate response to Esmé Connor’s injuries?
[Image by Shutterstock]