Boy Dies: Cinnamon Ingestion Proves Fatal For 4-Year-Old

The parents of a 4-year-old boy are still mourning their son’s tragic death. Matthew Radar died after he inhaled and swallowed cinnamon powder he found in a container in his kitchen, the Daily Mail reports.

Matthew was left unattended in the kitchen, so he started exploring the area. Like any curious child his age, the little boy climbed onto a counter, took a spice rack that contained cinnamon, then inhaled a little.

“He started choking, it was like he was having a seizure and just collapsed,” his mother, Brianna Radar, told LEX18.

When Brianna found him in that state, she immediately rushed her son to Baptist Health Medical Center. However, it was too late, and doctors pronounced the boy dead an hour and a half later.

“He was completely healthy – no problems,” Brianna told the local news station. “He started choking. It was like he was having a seizure and just collapsed.”

Matthew was choking because the cinnamon had clogged his lungs, which resulted in his death. In fact, as argued by the coroner, cinnamon when inhaled can cause asphyxiation. According to Fox 8, the coroner has ruled that the boy’s death was an accident.

Brianna Radar wants to share the story of her son so that it can be a warning to others, especially those who ingest large amounts of cinnamon powder in the “Cinnamon Challenge,” where the objective of the challenge is to film oneself swallowing a spoonful of ground cinnamon in under 60 seconds without drinking anything.

Brianna Radar knows all too well that cinnamon can kill.

“All these kids, they don’t think about the fact it can hurt them,” she said.

Brianna also wrote a post on Facebook saying that her son’s story can save lives, and she also thanked those who are supporting her family at such a difficult time.

“I can’t express how grateful I am for all the amazing support we have right now. And each and every one of you are amazing. Matty man’s story made the Lex 18 news and now CNN wants to share it nationwide. That helps ease my breaking heart just a little to think that just maybe my baby’s story can save even just one child’s life. My Matty was definitely loved by many and he loved everyone. Fly high baby boy we love you more than words could ever explain. And we miss you so much it hurts. R.I.P my sweet little angel.”

[Image via Facebook]