A newborn was scalded in a hospital and suffered severe injuries at a Texas medical facility. It happened when a Houston nurse scalded the newborn baby accidentally by touching a hot diaper to the baby’s foot and heel.
Fox News reveals that the parents of the infant that suffered second-degree burns is filing a lawsuit against the hospital, since a nurse put a hot diaper that was heated in the microwave on their baby. Isabel Lewandowski’s ankle and foot were burned in the incident while having her blood drawn following her birth last week.
According to Lewandowski, the nurse wet a diaper, heated it in a microwave, then applied it to the baby’s foot and heel.
Warning: the video below contains graphic images.
Click2Houston further reports that baby Isabel’s parents are worried that what the nurse did with the diaper will have long-term consequences.
Lewnadowski says that his daughter was getting a PKU test — which is routine blood work for newborn babies — when she got scalded in the hospital.
“They got a diaper and filled it full of water and put it in the microwave and then applied to my baby’s ankle and foot, which caused second-degree — severe second-degree — burns.”
St. Joseph Medical Center told Click2Houston that it was “aware of the complaint,” and that an investigation is ongoing into the case.
Tim Culberson, Lewandowski’s attorney, said this is a highly unusual type of incident and that he’s never seen one like it in his profession.
“The nurse took a diaper, wet it and put in a microwave and then put it on the baby’s heel and hurt the heel. I’ve been representing children with injuries for 16 years and I’ve never heard of this happening.”
St. Joseph Medical Center released a statement to the news station after the nurse scalded the newborn baby with a hot diaper.
“At St. Joseph Medical Center, the safety and care of our patients is our utmost concern. We are aware of the complaint, and are conducting a thorough investigation that is ongoing. The hospital is committed to providing high quality health services to the communities we serve.”
In another Inquisitr article out a few months ago, a nurse accidentally dropped a baby while feeding it. The baby’s skull was fractured, but the nurse kept her job. Apparently, the nurse was tired and accidentally dropped the infant she was caring for.
It’s unclear if the nurse who scalded the newborn baby in this case will keep her position at the hospital.
[Photo Credit: Click2Houston News screenshot]