Heart Attack Grill Strikes Again: Woman Collapses After Eating At Famed Restaurant

Heart Attack Grill is in the news for the second time this year, as a woman passed out after eating a “double bypass” burger, smoking, and drinking with friends.

Owner John Basso told The Los Angeles Times that:

“We attract an avant-garde clientele — thrill seekers, risk takers.” The “bad for you but fun” restaurant that “attracts people who don’t really take good care of their health.”

Basso told reporters that the woman, a Las Vegas resident in her 40’s was carted off by EMTs after she collapsed that the restaurant on Saturday night. He stated that:

“She was eating, drinking, smoking, laughing, dancing, having fun. But when you treat your body like that day in and day out, eventually your body is going to give out.”

The restaurant, which is famous for it’s incredibly unhealthy cuisine, was founded 7 years ago, and is located in Las Vegas. It has been featured on The Food Network, and the diner’s “quadruple bypass” burger recently made the Guinness Book of World Records as the worlds most calorie-filled sandwich. Basso explained that some versions of the burger can be over 10,000 calories (that’s about what a normal person’s body needs to sustain it for five days).

In February, a man dining at the restaurant suffered a heart attack while eating the 10,000 calorie burger.

There is no evidence that the restaurant’s food can cause an immediate heart attack, despite its warning to customers that the diner serves, “a burger to die for.” A sign also reads on the door, “Caution: This establishment is bad for your health.”

Dr. Harlan Krumholz, professor of medicin at Yale University, states that:

“There is some evidence that a high-fat meal can transiently affect the blood vessels – but little support for the idea that a high-fat meal can trigger a heart attack. Poor diet certainly does seem that it can contribute to risk over time, but no one has yet shown that it has an immediate effect that can precipitate the heart attack.”

Basso sends his best wishes to the woman, who is reportedly recovering at a local hospital after the incident. He also added that:

“Unlike cigarettes, I have had warnings labels since Day 1 when we opened in 2005 telling people how bad our food is for you. I think that skirts any liability we might have.”

Check out a commercial for The Heart Attack Grill here: