Hit And Run Driver Strikes 5-Year-Old Boy, Crawls Into Hole, And Covers Herself In Dirt To Avoid Capture By Police

A woman from Washougal, Washington, is under arrest and facing charges for a non-fatal hit and run accident that injured a 5-year-old boy. Marsha Yumi Perry, the 36-year-old driver, was arrested on Friday after police sent out dogs to search a field near the accident. The police dogs located her within a few feet of her location. Officers were able to determine her exact hiding place after seeing the ground move in an unusual way. She was promptly arrested on multiple charges and taken into custody. The boy survived with cuts to his face and scrapes on his knees and elbows.

According to the Daily Mail, Marsha Yumi Perry was driving on a suspended license and had a misdemeanor warrant, which is most likely her reason for running rather than tending to the child's well-being until the police and paramedics arrived. In addition to the suspended license and warrant, she was also arrested for a felony hit and run and taken to the Clark County jail. According to witnesses, Perry attempted to leave the scene in her car, but something prevented her motorized escape, so she ran into a nearby field to hide.

The Oregonian reported that a Washougal police officer, Sgt. Geoff Reijonen, tracked her scent with the aid of a police dog, coming within a few feet of her hiding place before the trail went cold. The officer shouted out that he would release the dog and the nearby ground began to move in an unnatural way.

"The ground moved, and she sat up."

Perry was cooperative from that point on, not wanting to be attacked by Ranger, the police dog.

The accident took place at approximately 6 p.m. As the investigation continues, police do not believe that Perry was under the influence of drugs or alcohol but are unsure what caused her to hit the 5-year-old boy. The case us currently undergoing an investigation to discover more details.

Perry was previously arrested in November of 2014 in Oregon when she was suspected of identity theft. She also had methamphetamine in her possession and supplied officers with false information. She pled not guilty to the November charges. There is no information regarding how the new arrest will impact her freedom at this time.

Details on bail or a scheduled court date have not been revealed, but it is expected that she will stand before a judge soon.

[Photo Courtesy: KOIN]