St. Louis Police Shoot, Kill Man For Allegedly Pointing Gun At Them

St. Louis police say an armed suspect was shot and killed Wednesday after he allegedly pointed a gun at them. The man has been identified as Stephon Averyhart, 27, of the 5400 block of Ruskin Avenue.

According to St. Louis Today, Averyhart was running from police shortly after noon on Wednesday when a police helicopter spotted his car. Police reportedly used spike strips to disable the car, which then crashed into a utility pole near Union Boulevard and Harney Avenue.

KMOV continued on to say that after Averyhart’s car crashed, he left the car and ran from police. Police stated that on exiting his car, police noticed that Averyhart had a gun on him, and after a short pursuit, he turned and pointed the gun at officers.

This news comes a few days an 11-hour police standoff took place in San Jose. According to an earlier report by The Inquisitr, the standoff took place at a home in the 3200 block of Vernice Avenue, near Story and South White roads. The incident reportedly began after police received an anonymous 911 call reporting a sighting of Mark Daniel Cuellar,42, a parolee with a warrant out for his arrest.

When police arrived at the home, they asked Cuellar to come outside. It was at that point that Cuellar barricaded himself in the home and police had to evacuate surrounding neighbors. Throughout the evening, Cuellar was asked to come outside and he repeatedly refused. Finally, police had to call in the SWAT team and after 11-hours, the standoff ended with police entering the home. According to The Inquisitr, Cuellar reportedly has at least five criminal cases in Santa Clara County ranging back to 2007 with the most recent being November of 2013.

Another report by The Inquisitr stated that a mother and daughter where shot at in Romeoville, Illinois. According to the report, Chief Mark Turvey of the Romeoville police said about the shooting: “The mother and daughter were sitting in their car when a man came up and shot them and fled on foot.” Police do believe at this time that the shooting wasn’t random, and that the two women were targeted by the gunman. Current reports state that police have questioned up to four individuals in the shooting.

In the case of the St. Louis shooting, police reportedly shot at the suspect after he pointed a gun at them. He was then taken to the hospital where he died from his injuries. According to St. Louis Today police recovered a gun along with narcotics from the scene.

[Image via Shutterstock/TFoxFoto]