Chicago Shooting: 13 Injured, Mayor Speaks Out

At least 13 people are reported to have been injured during a shooting that took place on Chicago’s South Side Thursday night, one of those victims included a 3-year-old boy.

As stated earlier by The Inquisitr, the shooting took place at about 10:15, Thursday evening.

The incident occurred at a basketball court near Cornell Square Park in Chicago in the city’s Back of the Yards neighborhood.

According to ABC News, a total of 10 ambulances responded to the scene and transported 12 victims to various hospitals. One other victim walked into a local hospital with injuries.

The youngest of the victims of Thursday’s Chicago shooting was a 3-year-old boy who was rushed to Mount Sinai Hospital in critical condition after being shot in the face.

The boy was identified as Deonta Howard, and after hours of surgery, ABC News has reported that he is in stable condition and expected to recover.

“It happened so fast,” a witness only identified as Jack said. “I was over at the side of the park and I heard the shots. I came over here and there was a lot of people down.”

According to CNN, the mass Chicago shooting prompted Mayor Rahm Emanuel to cancel a trip to Washington.

“Senseless and brazen acts of violence have no place in Chicago and betray all that we stand for,” the mayor’s office said in a statement.

“The perpetrators of this crime will be brought to justice and prosecuted to the full extent of the law. I encourage everyone in the community to step forward with any information and everyone in Chicago to continue their individual efforts to build stronger communities where violence has no place.”

Authorities believe that Thursday night’s shooting was gang-related, said Officer Ron Gaines of the Chicago Police Department.

Other victims included two 15-year-olds who were listed in stable condition, Gaines said.

The other victims were adults ages 21 to 41. CNN reported that four were in serious condition and the conditions of the others were listed as stable or good. One adult was treated at a hospital and released.

The violence “needs to stop,” said Semehca Nunn, the 3-year-old boy’s grandmother.

“Y’all out here killing these innocent people, kids, parents, grandparents, mothers, fathers; it’s got to stop. You need to stop,” she said.

Police are still investigating Thursday night’s Chicago shooting and say that there are no suspects in custody.

[Image via Shutterstock/Brian A Jackson]