Teresa Heinz Kerry Leaves Hospital After Seizure

Teresa Heinz Kerry left the hospital on Sunday, three weeks after suffering a grand mal seizure at her home in Nantucket. The wife of US Secretary of State John Kerry is expected to make a full recovery.

Following her release from a Boston hospital, Heinz Kerry thanked her doctors and caregivers for their support in her recovery, commenting, “They are the kindest people, who love what they do and do it superbly well.”

CBS News reports that John Kerry also commented on his wife’s recovery, saying:

“I’m extremely grateful for the quality of care Teresa received. I’ve always known Massachusetts is blessed to have some of the greatest health care in the world, but we’ve just lived it, and are grateful to all.”

The Secretary of State also praised the response of the State Department Diplomatic Security Service, who responded when Teresa Heinz Kerry’s seizure began. She was rushed to a Nantucket hospital, then later taken to one in Boston. After the initial issues, she was taken to Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital to recover.

Spokesman Glenn Johnson added that Heinz Kerry will undergo additional outpatient treatment to help her make a full recovery, notes The Boston Globe. Johnson previously stated that the seizure’s cause has not been determined. However, a grain tumor, heart attack, and stroke have all been ruled out.

Heinz Kerry is an heir to the Heinz ketchup fortune. She is also the widow of former US Senator John Heinz, who was killed in a plane-helicopter collision in 1991. She married then-Senator John Kerry in 1995.

Teresa is also a leading philanthropist and has resumed some routine activities following her release from the hospital. The The statement released by Johnson added that she will return to her civics work again after “a period of rest.”

It is unlikely any more statements will be released about Teresa Heinz Kerry’s health or what caused her July 7 seizure.

[Image via Rena Schild / Shutterstock.com]