Innocence of Muslims filmmaker Nakoula Basseley Nakoula says he wants to finish the anti-Islam movie when he gets out of jail.
The crude, low-budget YouTube video trailer was wrongly accused by US government officials of lighting the spark that led to the deaths of four Americans in Benghazi, Libya, on September 11, 2012.
Nakoula, who seems to have a sketchy background, was subsequently jailed in a California federal facility for parole violations, but vows to finish the film and distribute it with two hours of additional footage when he gets out of prison according to a Fox News interview. “It is not [a] religion movie. I have a lot of Muslim friends and not all the Muslims believe in the terrorism culture. Some of them believe in this culture. That’s why we need to fight [against] the culture, not the Muslims. My enemy is the terrorism culture; this is my enemy
Added Nakoula: “Of course I’m proud of it. If I could go back, I would do it again. Everybody gets hurt in this culture. We need the world free of this culture. We have to fight it.”
Nakoula is said to be a Coptic Christian born in Egypt who came to America in 1984.
He was one of seven persons that last year were sentenced to death in absentia in an Egyptian court for their participation in the video.
In the same interview, he offered no comment as to whether he or the film were being scapegoated by the Obama administration but said that “I would like to thank the United States government from the top to the bottom for protecting me. They treat me very, very good since this happened until now.”
Nakoula, 55, is due to be released on September 26.