The Dallas Cowboys were dealt what seemed like a major blow in their third preseason game as starting quarterback Tony Romo went down with a fracture in his back. The initial diagnosis was that Romo would be forced to miss four-to-six weeks, but upon further review by doctors, the timeline was changed to 10 weeks as the injury was worse than feared.
— KOMO Sports (@KOMO4Sports) August 27, 2016
The Cowboys were expected to compete for the NFC East title with Romo at the helm, but now things suddenly looked bleak with the team being forced to turn to rookie fourth-round pick Dak Prescott to run the offense for the foreseeable future. While Prescott had flashed in the preseason, it was a tall task to ask a rookie to come in and be successful right off the bat.
Not only has Prescott exceeded expectations, but he’s led the Cowboys to eight straight wins after a season-opening 20-19 loss at the hands of the New York Giants. Dallas now has the best record in the NFL and the team recently made the decision to go with Dak as the starting quarterback for the foreseeable future.
The situation became so awkward that Tony felt that he needed to deliver a speech earlier this week where he conceded the starting quarterback job to Dak. It was obvious that it was a difficult thing for Romo to do as he wants to play, but he understands that the team is better off without the distraction of having to answer questions about the situation on a weekly basis.
With Romo conceding the job to Dak Prescott, questions immediately arose about Tony’s future with the Cowboys. When asked about it, Jerry Jones said that he still believes that Romo has good years ahead of him and he’s had no thoughts about Tony not being a member of the Dallas Cowboys.
— NFL Network (@nflnetwork) November 15, 2016
“It’s not a goodbye,” Jones said Thursday. “I think Tony has got five years left of really competing for a Super Bowl. I believe Tony will be the quarterback on a Super Bowl team. I believe that strongly. We’re talking generic now, and I have no plans for him not to be part of the Dallas Cowboys. Not a consideration.”
According to NFL Network‘s Ian Rapoport, it isn’t realistic for Romo to play out the remaining three years of his contract as the backup for the Cowboys. Rapoport also reports that he’s been told that Tony is eyeing the quarterback situation with the Denver Broncos as that’s one place he would like to be traded.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) November 20, 2016
The Broncos won the Super Bowl last season and still have a roster worthy of winning a championship except at the quarterback position. Trevor Siemian has been very average in 2016 as he’s completing 60.1 percent of his passes for 2,028 yards with 12 touchdowns and seven interceptions. His 57.8 QBR and 85.0 ranks him 22nd and 25th, respectively, in the NFL in each category.
Tony Romo to Denver?
— Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) November 20, 2016
It would seem unlikely that the Broncos would want to enter 2017 with Siemian as the team’s starting quarterback unless he considerably improves over the final six games of the season and into the playoffs. That being said, Denver did select Paxton Lynch in the first-round of the 2016 NFL Draft, but it’s unclear if general manager John Elway and head coach Gary Kubiak will be ready to turn the keys over to Lynch as soon as next season.
If things don’t work out with the Broncos, Rapoport lists the Chicago Bears, New York Jets, Arizona Cardinals and Buffalo Bills as potential destinations for Tony Romo. Rapoport also points out that while Romo’s best friend Jason Witten doesn’t believe that it will happen, Tony is also considering retirement as an option depending on how the rest of the season goes and how his body feels.
[Featured Image by Jason Miller/Getty Images]