Spokane Fire Department Finds 3-Year-Old's Body Huddled With His Dog -- House Fire Claims Life Of Toddler And Pet Who Stayed To Protect Boy

Janice Malcolm

On Saturday, Spokane's fire department told the horrific and heart-breaking tale of a recent house fire that cost a 3-year-old boy and his dog their lives. The body of the young boy was found huddled together with his dog and a teddy bear, officials believe the two died together after the dog stayed with the boy while trying to protect him.

The fire broke out in the North Spokane Hillyard neighborhood at about 11:30 p.m. on Friday according to Brian Schaeffer, the Assistant Fire Chief and spokesman for the fire department. The home was located on East Longfellow Road near North Myrtle Street and the two adults who were home at the time managed to rescue three other children from the burning home before the fire blazed beyond their control. Though the home had fire detectors, the batteries had reportedly not been working and were taken out, so there was no early warning of the fire.

Schaeffer said that the call is one that these professional firefighters will never forget and a neighbor reported that he had even seen one of the firefighters at the scene break down.

"I saw the fire man crying, he was sitting on the rear bumper of the fire truck. I was actually broke into tears too. It was kind of an emotional evening."
"I heard this commotion on the street and immediately knew because the flames were coming out of their house... The mom was out there yelling out 'my baby's in there, my baby's in there.' It was just devastating, it was heartbreaking."

"Unfortunately the growth was incredible. There was a huge amount of heat. Likely upwards to about a thousand degrees toward the floor of the fire bedroom where the child was located... They went in to find the three-year-old boy and his dog had already succumbed to their injuries, pretty severe injuries."

The identity of the boy has not been revealed to the public, but reportedly no one else had been hurt in the fire.

[Featured Image by AP Images]

ALL CONTENT © 2008 - 2021 THE INQUISITR.