One Of Three Drifters Admits To Killing Spree For Dream Of Starting Pot Farm

A group of three, who are known drifters and shared a dream of moving to Oregon to begin their own pot farm, have been implicated in a violent crime spree by one of their own. Sean Michael Angold took to the witness stand on Tuesday to admit that he and his drug-focused group had selected two victims for their killings and carried out the murders at random- one victim from San Francisco and the other from Marin County.

A 23-year-old backpacker from Canada, named Audrey Carey was said to be selected because “she was foreign and possibly had money.” Angold stated to the courtroom that the three had initially simply intended to rob the young woman and not to kill her. Carey was found dead on October 3 of last year in Golden Gate Park at the grounds for the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival.

Only two days later the group of three decided to kill 67-year-old Steve Carter, a hiker from Fairfax, and well-known yoga instructor, feeling they were in need of his vehicle for their intended journey north. Angold stated they followed Carter while he walked his pet Doberman, Coco, and then decided to shoot him upon his return home.

“We decided we were going to shoot the individual for the car keys.”

The appearance by 25-year-old Angold was a preliminary hearing following his admission to second-degree murder in a plea bargain. The bargain was struck in return for his testifying for the prosecution in a double murder case against the other two defendants, Lila Scott Alligood, 19, and Morrison Haze Lampley, 24. It will be determined on Friday whether the case will go ahead with a jury trial at the Marin County Superior Court.

Although Angold’s testimony was chilling and shed light on crimes that had gone unanswered for, his clear use of drugs and other substances cause there to be gaps and contradictions in his claims. Due to this, attorneys for Alligood and Lampley honed in on the inconsistencies noting that Angold’s testimony could not be trusted and was a result of the deal he had made for 15 years to life in prison, as opposed to life without parole.

Alligood’s attorney questioned Angold while on the stand, in regard to his use of drugs prior to, and during his meeting with the other two defendants. The 25-year-old admitted to having been “on a run of meth” for nearly a week prior to acting with the other two in the crimes.

Lampley’s attorney went the route of implying that Angold has “a history of lying to police,” as the San Francisco Chronicle notes. Attorney David Brown achieved this by gaining admission from Angold that he pretended that he didn’t know Carey was dead.

“I said a lot of things that day that weren’t true,” Angold said.

The crime spree began with the three pulling on door handles of parked cars, testing to see if any were unlocked, near Coit Tower in San Francisco. The vehicle they found to be unlocked had within it a Ford F-150 holding a.40-caliber Smith and Wesson handgun, as well as ammunition in the console. The group stole the weapon and continued on their way.

Lampley and Alligood are a couple who joined Angold in San Francisco a week before the crime spree, which began on September 30 with the theft and carried on for a number of days. Angold referred to Lampley as the “ringleader” of the group and admitted the group had been smoking crystal meth prior to crossing paths with Carey, a substance Angold admits to having sold throughout the city. Carey, a backpacker on a solo trip in the U.S., joined up with them, drank beer and smoked weed. Over the time with Carey, Lampley and Angold devised the plan to rob Carey.

“We were just kicking and talking,” Angold said. “I left to take a leak. When I came back, Ms. Alligood had jumped across the circle and tackled her.”Angold said he ran to Carey’s feet as Lampley held her shoulders and Alligood tried to bind her hands. When Alligood was unsuccessful, she threw the rope to Angold, who tied it around Carey’s legs to keep her from chasing them, he said.”I see Mr. Lampley reach back for the pouch,” Angold said. “I heard Mr. Lampley say, ‘Shut up, b—h, or I’ll kill you.’ She said, ‘Just kill me then.’ Then I heard a pop. I didn’t know what was going on. (Lampley) said, ‘She’s dead, dude. Don’t worry about it.'”

Angold went on to claim the group spent the night at Vista Point, where he robbed tourists of LSD, which he took. They made their way to Sausalito and tried unsuccessfully to hitchhike which is when they decided they needed to shoot somebody for a car. Angold shares about the group’s decision to go after Carter, following walking a trail to Fairfax.

” He ‘looked at us like we were crazy,’ Angold said, then drove to another turnout to park. He said Alligood was the one who decided Carter would be a good target, partially because of his age, and they followed him to his trail.”

Carter was found dead and his dog was wounded. He was still clutching the leash. Two days later the trio were arrested outside of a Portland soup kitchen after being tracked by authorities due to the GPS device in the vehicle.

[Feature Photo by Joshua Gates Weisberg-Pool/Getty Images]