A lot of changes are in store for Supergirl in its sophomore season. Even if there are no ramifications in Kara’s world of the Flashpoint created by Barry Allen at the conclusion of The Flash last season, the mere fact that the show is moving from CBS to The CW (already home to three other DC Comics-based television shows — four if you count iZombie) is significant in itself. Supergirl’s more famous cousin Superman will finally make an appearance in Season 2, and Lynda Carter returns to her DC roots as she plays the President of the United States in Season 2 of Supergirl. While rumors continue to spread about new DC Comics characters being added to the show this fall, we now know that supervillain Metallo will officially debut on DCTV in October, portrayed by Frederick Schmidt.
Who Is Metallo?
Metallo is nowhere near as familiar a character to the casual fan as better-known Superman villains like Lex Luthor or Doomsday, although the character did show up in such series as Smallville, Lois & Clark, and Superboy. Metallo first appeared in DC Comics as far back as 1959. As is the case with most of the significant characters in the DC Universe, his origin story has been tweaked and retold several times throughout the years. His “real” name is John Corben. John’s body suffers some sort of epic trauma, and he is supplemented with a kryptonite-powered suit that he uses to fight Superman.
[NOTE: The following paragraph contains spoilers for Season 2 of Supergirl on The CW.]
As reported by UPI, Metallo’s story in Supergirl will begin in the season premiere. John Corben is a journalist by day and international murderer-for-hire by night. After an altercation with both Superman and Supergirl, he is treated by a secret organization that equips him with a kryptonite-powered cybernetic suit that gives him an obvious advantage over Supergirl and her cousin from Metropolis.
RELATED REPORTS BY THE INQUISITR
- Does DC Universe: Rebirth Reveal What Happens In The Flash Season 3 After The Flashpoint?
- DC Comics — Batman: The Killing Joke Movie And Graphic Novel — Everything You Need To Know
- The CW’s Arrow Season Finale Recap — Who Dies and Who Leaves Team Arrow?
- Arrowverse: The Flash Season Finale Recap — Zoom, The Iron Mask and a Shocking Ending
- DCTV: Gotham Season Finale Recap — Unexpected Villain Revealed For Season 3
- Supergirl Season Finale Recap — Spoilers: Kara And James Kiss, Teaser For Season 2
- DCTV: Tyler Hoechlin As Superman On The CW’s Supergirl — A First Look At The Costume
- Netflix: Full Trailer For Marvel’s Luke Cage Released Today
- Marvel Comics: Five Characters That Need To Be In A Deadpool Movie
- DCTV: New Arrow Season 5 Trailer — How Will The Flashpoint Change Arrow, The Flash, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow And Supergirl?
Who Is Frederick Schmidt?
The actor playing John “Metallo” Corben in Supergirl will be Frederick Schmidt. Not exactly a household name, a quick scan of his IMDB page shows that he is best known for his roles in such movies as Starred Up and Snow in Paradise. He can also be seen in the upcoming series Taboo, which will premiere on FX in the United States and on BBC One in the United Kingdom.
Where To Watch Supergirl
In the first season finale of Supergirl, Kara finds that a Kryptonian pod (not unlike the ones used to send Supergirl and Superman to Earth) his landed on our planet, the contents of which the viewers aren’t allowed to see. Will the mysterious contents play into the origin story of Metallo on The CW’s Supergirl?
The Season 2 premiere of Supergirl will air on Monday, October 10, at 8/7c. The final five episodes of Supergirl‘s first season can be streamed online at The CW’s official site.
[Image via DC Comics]