We’ve heard Nate Diaz say it multiple times while referring to most of the competitors in mixed martial arts, particularly the UFC: “they’re all on steroids.” And if there’s one thing that Diaz and Conor McGregor can agree on, it’s the PED situation in MMA.
On Friday, Conor McGregor, who will be facing Nate Diaz at UFC 202 later this month, said that he completely agreed with Diaz, saying that “they’re f***ing all on steroids.”
“I’m happy to be tested. The boy is not far along — they f***ing all are on steroids. So it is f***ed up. The co-main and main at 200. That’s messed up to me. I don’t know.”
The two fights that McGregor was referring to were the Brock Lesnar vs. Mark Hunt bout, and the Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier bout. It was revealed shortly after UFC 200 that Brock Lesnar had failed two separate USADA tests, one in-competiton and one out-of-competition. Prior to that it was revealed that Jon Jones had failed a USADA test, which resulted in him being pulled off of the UFC 200 card. Both Lesnar and Jones failed for a substance known as clomiphene, which is an estrogen blocker that athletes typically take when coming off a steroid cycle.
Prior to their first fight back at UFC 196, Diaz accused McGregor of being on PEDs during one of the pre-fight press conferences, and the featherweight champion was outraged at the allegation.
“I’m not on steroids. What the f**k are you talking about? I’m just an animal. I wake up. I work. I eat. And I sleep.”
Late last week, Conor McGregor caused quite a stir in the pro wrestling world after he said that he’d slap the head off of everyone in the WWE locker room. His comments didn’t go unnoticed by the pro wrestling world, as guys like AJ Styles, Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, and Ric Flair all responded to “Mystic Mac.”
Now that it’s been several days since McGregor made those comments, most are now realizing that he said what he said to get more attention on him, thus getting more people interested in his fight with Nate Diaz on August 20. The idea was basically to get pro wrestling fans to buy the UFC 202 pay-per-view, in hopes that he’d get knocked out by Nate Diaz. It remains to be seen whether or not his tactic will work, but even if it doesn’t, the pay-per-view is still expected to do huge numbers.
The UFC 202 main card lineup — which you can check out below — is arguably better than the UFC 196 lineup. So, in theory, McGregor vs. Diaz rematch should do just as well as their first bout did on pay-per-view.
- Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz
- Anthony “Rumble” Johnson vs. Glover Teixeira
- Rick Story vs. Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone
- Hyun Gyu Lim vs. Mike Perry
- Tim Means vs. Sean Strickland
However, unlike UFC 196, which had a title fight — Miesha Tate vs. Holly Holm for the Women’s Bantamweight Championship — UFC 202 does not. But the Anthony Johnson vs. Glover Teixeira fight is to determine the number one contender for the Light Heavyweight Championship. Also, if Nate Diaz can defeat Conor McGregor again, it’s likely that he’ll get a title shot, either at welterweight or at lightweight.
In a recent interview, Nate Diaz said that the UFC better hope that he doesn’t win on August, because if he does, he claims that he’s really going to take over. He didn’t expand upon what exactly that means, but it’s likely that he’ll demand a huge payday for his next fight, which, as previously mentioned, could be a championship fight.
[Photo by John Locher/AP Images]