One night after Seth Rollins returned from injury to attack Roman Reigns at WWE Extreme Rules, Shane McMahon booked Roman Reigns vs. Seth Rollins for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship at June’s WWE Money In The Bank. Additionally, several “new era” WWE Superstars were given the opportunity to compete in this year’s Money In The Bank Ladder Match by winning a qualifying match on Monday Night RAW. Those matches included Dean Ambrose vs. Dolph Ziggler, Kevin Owens vs. AJ Styles, Sheamus vs. Sami Zayn, Cesaro vs. The Miz, and Chris Jericho vs. Apollo Crews.
In other news, Enzo Amore returned to WWE RAW, WWE Women’s Champion Charlotte parted ways with “The Nature Boy” Ric Flair, John Cena’s return at next week’s RAW was hyped, and The New Day continued to prove their dominance within the WWE’s Tag Team Division.
— WWE (@WWE) May 24, 2016
The full results for this week’s WWE Monday Night RAW and the updated match-lists for the WWE Money in the Bank 2016 card are below. This week’s episode of WWE RAW was taped at the Royal Farms Arena in Baltimore, Maryland.
WWE Monday Night RAW results
The following includes all of the matches and their results from WWE RAW on May 23.
- Money In The Bank Qualifying Match: Sami Zayn defeated Sheamus
- The New Day defeated The Social Outcasts
- Money In The Bank Qualifying Match: Cesaro defeated The Miz
- Money In The Bank Qualifying Match: Chris Jericho defeated Apollo Crews
- Big Cass defeated Bubba Ray Dudley
- Money In The Bank Qualifying Match: Dean Ambrose defeated Dolph Ziggler
- Money In The Bank Qualifying Match: Kevin Owens defeated AJ Styles
Other updates and storyline progressions:
- WWE RAW kicked off with Seth Rollins addressing the WWE Universe for the first time in over 200 days. WWE World Heavyweight Champion Roman Reigns joined him, as did Shane McMahon, who set up Reigns vs. Rollins for the WWE title at Money in the Bank. Later in the show, when Seth Rollins saw Stephanie McMahon backstage, she informed him that they are no longer business associates because “things have changed” in the WWE since he was injured.
- After losing to Sami Zayn, Sheamus attacked Apollo Crews, saying that he’s going to take down anyone from the “New Era” who thinks they can replace him.
- After losing to The New Day, Heath Slater took a cake to the face, as a follow-up to The New Day’s in-ring promo prior to the match.
- WWE Women’s Champion Charlotte essentially dumped her father, making it clear she wants to be the champion without her father’s help. Dana Brooke appears to have taken Ric’s place as Charlotte’s plus-one.
- Enzo Amore returned to Monday Night RAW, accompanying Big Cass to the ring and getting the crowd hyped with his superior mic skills.
- Another “Make Darren Young Great Again” vignette aired with Darren Young and Bob Backlund.
- Baron Corbin and Dolph Ziggler agreed to have a “technical wrestling match” on Monday Night RAW next week.
- A vignette — complete with low-quality green screen technology — aired for The Shining Stars.
- Prior to his main event match against Kevin Owens, AJ Styles was confronted by Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson, resulting in an apparent break-up of The [Bullet] Club.
- John Cena returns to WWE Monday Night RAW next week. Seth Rollins will be a guest on ESPN’s SportsCenter on Tuesday night, May 24.
RELATED REPORTS BY THE INQUISITR
- Larry Wilmore On ‘The Nightly Show’ — Is Pro Wrestling Racist? [WWE News]
- WWE News: ‘Total Divas’ Recap: Nikki Bella Says ‘I Am Basically A Wife’
- Who Are The ‘Bullet Club’ And Why Do They Matter? [WWE News]
- WWE News — ‘NXT TakeOver: Dallas’ (The Live Experience & Results)
- Recap: WWE ‘Total Divas’ Recap — Nikki Bella Rehabs Injury With John Cena [WWE News]
Updated WWE Money in the Bank Match-List
- WWE World Heavyweight Championship: Roman Reigns (c) vs. Seth Rollins
- Money in the Bank Ladder Match: Sami Zayn vs. Cesaro vs. Kevin Owens vs. Dean Ambrose vs. Chris Jericho vs. TBD vs. TBD
Unless otherwise noted, matches were confirmed at WWE’s official Money in the Bank preview page.
Where To Watch
WWE Money in the Bank 2016 airs live on the WWE Network on Sunday, June 19, at 8/7c. The WWE Money in the Bank Kick-off Show begins at 7/6c.
— WWE (@WWE) May 24, 2016
WWE Monday Night RAW airs live on the USA Network at 8/7c. Replays of WWE RAW aren’t made available on the WWE Network until several weeks after the original air date. However, a 90-minute version of Monday Night RAW is available to stream on-demand the following day with a Hulu Plus subscription.
[Image via WWE]