Moments after Roman Reigns defeated A.J. Styles at WWE Extreme Rules 2016, he was attacked when Seth Rollins made his surprise return to WWE on Sunday night. Just weeks before John Cena returns and the WWE Universe looks ahead to WWE Money in the Bank 2016, all three members of The Shield are back.
Rollins’ attack on his former brethren should put to rest any rumors about a potential feud featuring The Shield vs. The Bullet Club, culminating in a War Games Match. After hitting Reigns with a Pedigree and hoisting the WWE World Heavyweight Championship above his head, it seems clear the direction that WWE will be headed with Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns going forward.
Note: The following contains the full results and spoilers for WWE Extreme Rules that first aired on the WWE Network on May 22.
— WWE (@WWE) May 23, 2016
Every WWE title was on the line at WWE Extreme Rules, but only one title changed hands. On top of the surprise return of Seth Rollins, Dana Brooke made an unexpected appearance, as did Big Cass and The Dudley Boyz.
WWE Extreme Rules results
The following matches took place at Extreme Rules and the Extreme Rules Kick-Off Show on Sunday night.
- The first in-ring action of the night came when Big Cass interrupted a Dudley Boyz promo during the Kick-off Show. Cassady took out both Bubba Ray and Devon after they insulted New Jersey and the “new era” of WWE Superstars.
- No Disqualification Match: Baron Corbin defeated Dolph Ziggler on the Kick-off Show by pinfall after hitting a low blow.
- Tag Team Tornado Match: Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows defeated The Usos after Jimmy Uso was hit with the Magic Killer. Although both Jimmy and Jey were assisted to the back by officials, they would both return during the main event.
- WWE Tag Team Championship Match: The New Day (c) defeated The Vaudevillains, with the trio retaining their titles by taking advantage of the numbers game.
- WWE United States Championship Match: Rusev defeated Kalisto (c) by submission using The Accolade to become the new WWE U.S. champ.
- WWE Intercontinental Championship Fatal 4-Way Match: The Miz (c) defeated Sami Zayn, Cesaro, and Kevin Owens after The Miz pinned Cesaro, who was down from Sami Zayn’s Helluva Kick.
- Asylum Match: Dean Ambrose defeated Chris Jericho in a match that paid homage to Mick Foley with a bag of thumbtacks.
- WWE Women’s Championship Submission Match: Charlotte (c) defeated Natalya after Dana Brooke caused a distraction at ringside, pretending to be Ric Flair.
- WWE World Heavyweight Championship Extreme Rules Match: Roman Reigns (c) defeated AJ Styles after reversing a Phenomenal Elbow into a spear. Both The Club and The Family got involved.
- While celebrating his victory in the ring, Roman Reigns was attacked by Seth Rollins, who was making his return to WWE television after months away due to injury.
RELATED REPORTS BY THE INQUISITR
- WWE News — ‘NXT TakeOver: Dallas’ (The Live Experience & Results)
- Who are ‘The Bullet Club’ And Why Do They Matter?
- WWE News: Florida Citrus Bowl Is Likely Candidate For WrestleMania 33
- WWE: ‘Total Divas’ Recap — Nikki Bella Rehabs Injury With John Cena [News]
- Is John Cena Taking A Break From WWE To Be On ‘Celebrity Apprentice’? [WWE News]
Where to Watch
WWE Extreme Rules 2016 is available to stream on-demand exclusively through the WWE Network.
[Image via WWE]