Prince was reportedly treated for a drug overdose just six days before his sudden death. According to TMZ, that emergency landing in Illinois last week was not due to symptoms related to the flu, contrary to what was initially reported. Sources have told the site that Prince was in serious trouble that night, which is why the plane he was on was forced to land less than 50 miles from his home.
“Multiple sources in Moline tell us, Prince was rushed to a hospital and doctors gave him a ‘save shot’… typically administered to counteract the effects of an opiate. Our sources further say doctors advised Prince to stay in the hospital for 24 hours. His people demanded a private room, and when they were told that wasn’t possible… Prince and co. decided to bail. The singer was released [three] hours after arriving and flew home. We’re told when Prince left he ‘was not doing well.'”
Prince’s cause of death has not yet been revealed. An autopsy is scheduled for tomorrow and a toxicology report will likely be needed before an official cause of death can be determined. It can take six to eight weeks for toxicology test results to come back, which gives the tabloids plenty of time to come up with various stories about what might have happened.
Here is what we know for certain so far.
Prince was found dead inside his home in Paisley Park, Minnesota, on Thursday morning. First responders found his body inside an elevator around 9:45 a.m. Although they tried to resuscitate him, it was too late. Prince was pronounced dead just 25 minutes later, according to People Magazine.
Prince performed at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta on Wednesday night. His show was called “emotional” and “incredible” by attending fans. Little did those fans know that they’d be the very last ones to see Prince perform live.
Several news outlets and celebrities have reacted to Prince’s tragic passing. Below is a statement from MTV.
“MTV is heartbroken and in utter disbelief at the news that the world has lost Prince Rogers Nelson so suddenly and so before his time. Prince was a once-in-a-lifetime artist who transcended every medium and genre he touched and created music with a passion and individuality that inspired multiple generations. Our hearts and prayers go out to his family, friends and millions of fans.”
If Prince died of a drug overdose or of complications to an earlier drug overdose (as suggested by TMZ), that would be absolutely tragic. Sadly, so many musicians have died as a result drug abuse (Whitney Houston, Elvis Presley, and Michael Jackson, to name a few).
A rep for Prince released a short statement confirming his client’s death earlier, but has not commented on the drug overdose rumors. The police gave a brief statement about what they were faced with inside Prince’s home, but also did not comment on a potential cause of death. Initial reports did indicate, however, that foul play was not suspected.
As previously reported by the Inquisitr, Prince fans were quick to head over to iTunes to purchase the icon’s music. His singles and one of his albums were on top of the charts within one hour of his death being reported.
[Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images]