Rogue Comets Approaching Earth Could Strike Planet This Month, Warn Doomsday Preppers

Coburn Palmer

A series of comets that usually hang out near Jupiter has scientists worried about a rogue killer asteroid that could potentially wipe out all life on Earth.

Researchers at SETI, who normally search for alien life, are concerned they can't explain what caused a recent meteor shower over New Zealand and worry a rogue killer comet could be headed our way.

NASA has put a lot of effort into tracking near-Earth asteroids, but so far can only track about 10 percent of the space rocks near the planet, University of Buckingham Professor Bill Napier told the Express. That leaves 90 percent of the dangerous, potentially planet-killing space rocks, made up of rock and metal instead of ice, unidentified.

"If we are right, then these distant comets could be a serious hazard, and it's time to understand them better."

Napier and his fellow scientists fear newly discovered Planet Nine could be driving comets that usually hang out near Jupiter further into the solar system toward Earth. If that's true, the "super planet" that orbits the Sun every 20,000 years could be responsible for the killer asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs.

Astrophysicists worry it could also spark another extinction event, this time with humans as the victims.

The large comets that usually hang out near Jupiter, called Centaurs, are up to 60 miles long; if one of them is driven in towards Earth, the planet's gravity would cause it to break up into smaller rocks, but that might not save us.

The asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs is thought to have been 10 miles wide, so even a broken piece of a Centaur comet poses a danger to Earth. If the space rock crashed into the planet, it could create a massive firestorm, devastate an entire continent, and generate huge tsunamis that could destroy civilizations.

In September, journalist and pseudoscientist Graham Hancock warned a 20-mile long comet fragment was hanging out in the solar system near Earth in his book Magicians of the Gods, reports the Express.

"Some of the greatest mass extinctions in the distant past, for example the death of the dinosaurs 65million years ago, may similarly be associated with this giant comet hypothesis."

The governments of the Earth currently have no tested method of either blowing up or deflecting an incoming comet or asteroid, but Russia is testing a planetary defense system using Cold War-era ballistic missiles.

"We've no evidence the dinosaurs had a space program, and it cost them."

[Photo credit: screenshot Discovery Channel/YouTube]

ALL CONTENT © 2008 - 2021 THE INQUISITR.