KFC Chicken Eating Contest Cancelled After Entrant Chokes To Death

Anne Sewell

The "Eat or Treat" chicken eating contest held at a branch of KFC Indonesia was cancelled after a 45-year-old man choked to death on his last chicken wing.

Reportedly Fredy Jayadi was one of three contestants in the elimination round held at KFC Taman Semanan at Duri Kosambo in Indonesia, where he was hoping to head to the finals to win the $1bn rupiah ($7,602) prize money. He was attempting to gobble down three chicken wings in under five minutes and had just finished his final piece of chicken when he started to choke.

— Daily Mail Online (@MailOnline) March 21, 2016

The Daily Mail quotes the Jakarta Post as saying the "Eat or Treat" contest was organized by O2 Accion, working together with the fast food chain Kentucky Fried Chicken, and was held at KFC Taman Semanan at Duri Kosambo in West Jakarta on March 11.

In a press statement, O2 Accion said they were "incredibly saddened" over the death of Jayadi at the "Eat or Treat" event, saying the event had been initiated and was fully supported and managed by that company. They said the incident was purely accidental.

"Hence, we hold ourselves (and not any other parties) responsible towards such an unforeseen event, including any further issues arising out of this incident."

— Menang 5 Miliar (@Menang5Miliar) March 12, 2016

Sulaiman also stressed that before the "Eat or Treat" contest began, all participants had signed a letter declaring they were healthy.

As reported by the International Business Times, Abdul Wahab, Public Relations Officer for KFC Indonesia, confirmed in a statement that the company merely provided the venue and that was the deal they had with O2 Accion, the organizer of the event.

— IBTimes UK (@IBTimesUK) March 21, 2016

In other news relating to KFC, the Inquisitr recently reported that a Kentucky Fried Chicken outlet manager in Richmond, Virginia, was recently fired from his job after it was found he had discriminated against a transgender female worker at the restaurant.

The report said that the worker was not to be hired after the manager found out about the fact from the worker's driver's license, which listed the transgender worker as male. Reportedly, the KFC manager told the worker that he couldn't employ her, as he didn't know which bathroom she would use.

[Photo via Flickr by Alpha | cropped and resized | CC BY-SA 2.0]

ALL CONTENT © 2008 - 2021 THE INQUISITR.