A Fenton township family of six didn’t survive the night after a silent killer crept into their home. Sources report they were a “good, Christian family.”
Many from the township community couldn’t believe the family had died. However, after seeing the sheriff express his condolences, the community understood the gravity of the incident.
According to WXYZ-Detroit, the family of six included four kids and two parents — all of the children being under 11 years of age, with the youngest being 2-years-old. The source mentions that the investigation’s status is in the preliminary stages at the moment.
The family residence is located on Stony Brook Pass in Fenton Township, Michigan. During the night, as reports the source, carbon monoxide poisoned the family of six as they slept in different rooms of the house. WNEM-5 mentions that the family of six had a generator running inside the house overnight. Reportedly, the residence’s electrical power shut off and caused a need for a backup source.
Please make sure you have working carbon monoxide detectors.— Alice Dreger (@AliceDreger) February 21, 2016
"Family of six found dead inside Fenton Township home" https://t.co/VGgZVXMS9f
WXYZ-Detroit mentioned that an extended family member asked local law enforcement to check the residence, as the previous night was the last time communication had been made. This is when the family was discovered and authorities have ruled that they were “poisoned by carbon monoxide.” Several emergency service personnel responded to the call, including firefighters, policemen, and a Consumers Energy crew, says MLive.
According to the report, extended family of the deceased appeared at the scene in concern of the six. However, at the time of MLive‘s report, the family had left the location.
Genesee County Sheriff Robert Pickell discussed the family of six, in length, during an interview. You can watch the interview in the video below.
The sheriff mentioned carbon monoxide as the silent killer. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, carbon monoxide can build up inside a closed environment and poison living animals and people within the room.
Likewise, the CDC also states that — since, in this case, the family operated a portable generator — the appliance should have been checked and maintained annually. Likewise, the source notes that users should “never use a generator inside your home, basement, or garage or less than 20 feet from any window, door, or vent.”
Electric Generators Direct affirms this fact with two similar rules about electric generators:
- Obey all rules
- Never use a generator indoors
It also states as follows.
“The U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission is now requiring manufacturers of portable generators to warn consumers of carbon monoxide hazards through a new label that reads, ‘Using a generator indoors CAN KILL YOU IN MINUTES’. The most obvious solution is to run the generator as far away from the house as possible and point the exhaust away from open doors and windows.”
According to sources, the appliance was found in the house’s basement. Generally, the family would have experienced carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms. However, since they weren’t awake — according to the CDC’s data — they were possibly severely poisoned before they could awaken. As a result, the family of six died in their sleep.
That story about the family of six that died of carbon monoxide poisoning made my heart break.— c (@ClaireZuwala) February 22, 2016
In the interview, the sheriff also mentions that he wasn’t aware of the carbon monoxide alarm’s status, after the on-scene reporter inquired the issue. The source mentions that, when maintaining carbon monoxide alarms, the batteries should be changed each spring and fall. Also, the alarm should be placed in a location where you would hear its alert. Moreover, carbon monoxide alarms should be replaced, altogether, every five years.
The government source’s information shows that this family of six, unfortunately, became part of a yearly statistic. It mentions as follows.
“Everyone is at risk for CO poisoning. Infants, the elderly, people with chronic heart disease, anemia, or breathing problems are more likely to get sick from CO. Each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning not linked to fires, more than 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized.”
What are your thoughts about this poisoned family of six? Their situation can serve as a helpful lesson to all readers. Carbon monoxide is a real and silent killer. As Electric Generators Direct mentions, “don’t put your family at risk.”
[Image via Shutterstock]