When WWE Monday Night Raw went off the air, Brock Lesnar stood tall as Roman Reigns lay at his feet. Vince and Stephanie McMahon, who refused to give in to Lesnar’s demands, had to use a team of 14 men to take Reigns down. Kalisto had scored an upset victory over Alberto Del Rio to capture the WWE United States Championship, and everyone was looking forward to WWE Royal Rumble 2016.
On Tuesday, WWE taped this week’s episode of WWE Thursday Night SmackDown in Lafayette, Louisiana. As the WWE builds towards the Royal Rumble and the Road to WrestleMania, and as WWE tries to convince USA Network that they made the right choice, SmackDown is bound to take on a level of significance that the program hasn’t seen in years.
— WWE (@WWE) January 12, 2016
Before the taping, WWE had already announced that ADR would invoke the rematch clause on SmackDown and that the Wyatt Family would compete in a Tag Team Tables Match against the Dudley Boyz. It was also known that Dean Ambrose and Neville would team up to face Kevin Owens and Sheamus. Below is a full breakdown of what transpired at this week’s SmackDown tapings, to air this Thursday night on USA.
Note: The following contains full spoilers for WWE Thursday Night SmackDown, airing January 14, 2016.
- Dean Ambrose opens the show by saying he wants to face Kevin Owens in a Last Man Standing Match at Royal Rumble. Sheamus interrupts the promo. Owens comes out and accepts Dean’s challenge. Sheamus and Owens attack Ambrose, but Neville makes the save. The main event is booked: Dean Ambrose and Neville vs. Sheamus and Kevin Owens. No word on whether or not their participation in the Last Man Standing Match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship will prevent them from participating in the Royal Rumble Match a week from Sunday.
- The Dudley Boyz defeat The Wyatt Family (Luke Harper and Erick Rowen) in a Tag Team Tables Match. Afterwards, Braun Strowman attacks both of the Dudley Boyz and puts both of them through tables.
- In an interview with Jojo, Kalisto compares himself to Rey Mysterio and Eddie Guerrero, saying that he will also make it in the “land of giants.” Kalisto was introduced by John Cena last week. He won’t be able to challenge ADR on his own anytime soon, as John Cena is recovering from shoulder surgery.
- The Social Outcasts (Bo Dallas, Heath Slater, Curtis Axel, Adam Rose) defeated Zack Ryder, Goldust, Jack Swagger, and Damien Sandow in an Eight-Man Tag Team Match when Dallas pinned Ryder. Tension builds within the Social Outcasts when Dallas inadvertently knocks Slater off of the apron.
- Alberto Del Rio (with Wade “King” Barrett) defeated Kalisto by submission to become the new WWE United States Champion. The win came with an assist from Barrett. Even WWE confirmed this spoiler at their own website.
- Becky Lynch defeated Brie Bella by submission.
- Dean Ambrose and Neville vs. Kevin Owens and Sheamus ends with no decision as all four competitors battled outside of the ring. That makes it two weeks in a row that the main event of SmackDown ended with Ambrose and Owens in a “no contest” finish. Ambrose and Neville hit their finishers on Owens to end the show.
— WWE (@WWE) January 8, 2016
These WWE Thursday Night SmackDown spoilers have been confirmed by Wrestling Inc. USA Network airs Thursday Night SmackDown at 8/7c. Replays of WWE SmackDown can be streamed on-demand beginning Fridays with a Hulu Plus subscription.
[Image via Twitter]