Mother Has Drunken Sex With Man She Met At Bus Stop While 3-Month-Old Daughter Dies On Sofa Downstairs

Police officials say that while a mother was having sexual intercourse with a man she met at a bus stop, her 3-month-old daughter died on the sofa downstairs, according to the Mirror. On May 6, 2014, Yvonne Adkins, 32, of Meir, Stoke-on-Trent, brought home a man, Omoleye Babatumde Peter, who she met a week prior at Hanley Bus Station, to drink whiskey and have sex, leaving baby Shanelle — who, since birth, suffered from reflux and vomiting — downstairs on the sofa unattended.

In a statement, Peter — who arrived at the U.K. in 2009 — stated that he and Adkins, who he referred to as the “fat lady,” engaged in drunken sex for about 10 minutes before falling asleep at 9:40 p.m. However, just before falling asleep, he asked Adkins to wake him up at 5 a.m. because he had to work the following day, but she failed to do so. But Peter woke up on his own and told police officials that as he walked out of the front door, he didn’t hear any noises, nor was he aware of the whereabouts of Adkins’ children.

Later that day, Adkins called Peter, informing him that her baby wasn’t breathing. After advising her to relay that information to the father of the child as well as the police, he hung up. However, several hours later, Adkins informed her lover that her infant had died, and it was the last time the pair came into contact.

According to the Daily Mail, when paramedics arrived at Adkins location, they performed CPR, but it was to no avail. At approximately 8:05 a.m., baby Shanelle was pronounced dead at Royal Stoke University Hospital. When Peter learned of the infants’ death, he stated that he “was really shocked and scared. I don’t want any further contact with her. But my bag is still at her house and I want it back.”

Senior coroner Ian Smith stated that “By leaving her child downstairs unattended put her child at risk. She has been punished by the courts for that — quite rightly so. But the courts couldn’t convict her of any more than that because there is no evidence of exactly how she died. She was neglectful in her duty as a mother.”

“She did leave her child alone and to that extent as a parent she neglected her overriding duty to put her children ahead of her own interests and pleasures. She will have to live with that for the rest of her life. One of the most difficult aspects of this case is the medical side.

“I deal with a number of cases of unexpected deaths in children of this age who die for no reason that pathologists can ascertain. Maybe in years to come we will find some reason for sudden unexpected child death.”

According to paramedic Francine White, who was first on the scene, told police officials that she was shocked to uncover how the mother showed no emotion as they worked diligently to revive Shanelle. She added that “Parents usually want to travel in the back of the ambulance to be with their child, but she said she didn’t want to. She didn’t want to see her baby. She was on the telephone for 95 percent of the journey, which lasted about 10 minutes.”

“She was talking to family and I found what she was saying very odd. I’m a mother and it wouldn’t have been what I would have said if I was in that situation. I overheard her say: ‘I think she’s passed away’. It was very matter of fact. There was no emotion. The most unusual comments were about how this sort of thing could happen to babies and how they pull blankets over their heads.

“Her behavior was very planned and prepared. I would have shown a lot more emotion. When we got to the hospital she refused to see her baby.”

Since physicians could uncover how she died, Adkins was not charged with murder, only cruelty to a child, which she pleaded guilty to. The judge sentenced her to 18 months in prison.

[Image via Shutterstock]