Quincy Monk, Former Giants Linebacker, Dies At 36 From Rare Cancer

Former NFL player Quincy Monk reportedly died Tuesday at the age of 36.

The New York Daily News reports that the former Giants linebacker died from adenocarcinoma, a rare form of cancer.

Long before the cancer diagnosis, Monk survived another life-threatening health issue when he suffered a stroke caused by a large clot that prevented blood from circulating to a particular part of his brain.

According to WRAL, the married father of two was taken to the hospital by his wife, Lisa, after he dropped an iron while ironing a shirt. Quincy claimed that all he could seem to focus on at the time was the fact that he had dropped the iron.

“It just came out of nowhere. Mentally, I was like, ‘What’s wrong with this iron?’ Rather than, ‘OK, I have numbness in my arm.'”

Lisa stated that her husband was sweating, disoriented, and “it was really like he couldn’t focus.” Monk was later transferred to Duke Raleigh Hospital, where Duke neurosurgeon Dr. Ali Zomorodi used a device known as Solitaire to remove the clot.

Even though Quincy successfully recovered from the stroke, it apparently was not very long before the Monk family received more bad news about his health. His struggle was highlighted in a GoFundMe online fundraiser titled “Help Us Heal Our Giant, Quincy Monk.”

“After recently suffering a stroke and seemingly making an incredible recovery, the Monk family was hit with another obstacle, the ‘C’ word. Quincy was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma and it is very aggressive. Those who know Quincy understand he would never ask for anything and is always the guy who gives his all to help others. He has an amazing wife Lisa, and two beautiful children Naomi (5) and Aiden (3). Please find it in your hearts to help one of the best guys we know fight the fight of his life.”

Long before Quincy Monk put on his first NFL jersey, he played college football at the University of North Carolina.

Quincy Monk [Photo by Craig Jones/Getty Images]Larry Fedora, the head coach of the UNC Tar Heels football team, recently stated that he is “deeply saddened to learn of Quincy’s passing.” Coach Fedora further expressed that his “thoughts and prayers are with his wife, Lisa, and his two beautiful children.”

Quincy Monk was selected by the New York Giants in the seventh round of the 2002 NFL Draft. He was cut from the team during the final round of cuts leading into the 2004 season. Quincy signed with the Houston Texans in December of 2004.

Quincy Monk [Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images]During the two games he played for that team, Quincy Monk reportedly had two tackles. The team released him from its roster in August 2005, according to the New York Times.

Long after his professional football career came to an end, Quincy embarked on a journey into a completely different industry: financial investment and wealth management. In addition to working for such companies as CitiTrust Smith Barney and Captrust, Monk served as the managing director of Argentum Capital Management – a financial consulting firm based in Durham, NC.

According to the Carolina Business Connection, Quincy Monk was even appointed to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s Board of Visitors.

[Photo by NFL Photos/Getty Images]