Jamar Clark Funeral: Police Arrest Three Ahead Of Burial

Jamar Clark funeral proceedings prepare to get underway as Minneapolis police arrested three people ahead of the burial. For the past 11 days, Black Lives Matter protesters have gathered to increase awareness about the shooting death of the 24-year-old man.

The Jamar Clark funeral services are being held at the Shiloh Temple in north Minneapolis, CBS reports.

The family and friends of Jamar Clark arrived around 10 a.m. for visitation at the funeral home. Clark’s sisters and other relatives and friends wore T-shirts with his picture to the memorial services. The funeral procession was reportedly scheduled to go by the 4th Minneapolis Police Precinct, so that Clark’s father could pay his final respects before the burial at the Crystal Lake Cemetery, Fox 21 KQDS notes. Clark’s father is reportedly leading the protest in front of the police precinct.

As previously reported by the Inquisitr, Jamar Clark was shot and killed by Minneapolis police on November 15. Black Lives Matter protesters claim Clark was handcuffed at the time of the shooting and posed no threat to himself or others. Police officers dispute those claims. Governor Mark Dayton told the media that has seen the video protesters want to see, and stated that it’s inconclusive and “you can’t tell if Clark is wearing handcuffs.”

The Jamar Clark protest turned deadly earlier this week after shots were fired during the gathering, and five people were sent to the hospital. All five victims were transported to area hospital with non-life-threatening injuries late Monday evening, according to a law enforcement media release. Black Lives Matter protesters present at the shooting claim the incident was initiated by white supremacists.

Four young men were arrested in connection to the Jamar Clark protest shooting on Tuesday. Police officers ultimately released one of the men after determining he was not involved in the shooting. All three of the other shooting suspects are white men in their 20s. The suspects are still in custody as the investigation into the case continues.

A representative from the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office representative said the office has until 4 p.m. Wednesday to file charges or be forced to release the suspects. One of the five people shot during the Black Lives Matter protest was a cousin to the deceased, Cameron Clark.

The relative was reportedly hit in the leg and foot with bullets. Clark said he was shot right after he “escorted” several masked white men away from the precinct.

Jamar Clark was a suspect in an assault and was interfering with paramedics who were attempting to treat the victim, according to the Minneapolis Police Department. He spent three years “in and out” of prison on robbery charges, and was on probation for threatening to burn down an ex-girlfriend’s house. Jamar had a July trial date set for an arrest after engaging in a high-speed chase while fleeing the police.

“We were just asking them, ‘What’s going on. Are you here for justice for Jamar?’ They didn’t say anything. The guy in all black just opened fire on us,” Cameron Clark said. “I’m hurting. My community needs me. I need them and I’m not going to lay down.”

“The Jamar Clark family has urged us to start thinking about an exit strategy, and I think that would be wise,” U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison during the community gathering to honor Clark on Tuesday.

Two of the Minneapolis officers involved in the Jamar Clark shooting are on standard paid leave. A grand jury will ultimately determine if the fatal police shooting was justified.

[Image via Twitter]