Russian investigators, trying to find out what caused the Metrojet plane crash, have confirmed that the plane was brought down by a bomb. The bomb was planted inside the the passenger area of the plane and exploded, killing innocent civilians.
The Russian plane that crashed over Egypt was downed by a bomb on-board, concluded the Kremlin. Russian President Vladimir Putin has vowed “hunt down” those responsible for killing 224 innocent passengers onboard the Metrojet jetliner. Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation (FSB) Director Alexander Bortnikov reportedly told Putin the following.
“We can say unequivocally that this was a terrorist attack.”
ISIS releases photo of bomb they say brought down Russian plane https://t.co/2imqeZbBmk
— TIME.com (@TIME) November 18, 2015
A powerful Improvised Explosive Device (IED), or a “crude” bomb, was responsible for downing Russian Metrojet Flight 9268 in Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula last month. The bomb was concealed in the aircraft’s main cabin. There were conflicting reports about the bomb being placed in the aircraft’s cargo hold. However, the detailed analysis of the wreckage has suggested that the bomb was in the main cabin. The location of the bomb is of critical importance, as this will determine how the investigation proceeds. The report reads as follows.
“According to a preliminary version, the bomb could have been laid under the passenger seat by the window. Its operation has led to the destruction of the frame and depressurization of the cabin, which had an explosive character.”
Bortnikov added that forensic analysis of passengers’ personal effects, baggage and pieces of the plane indicated traces of an “explosive materials of foreign production,” reported MSN. The FSB Director also explained why the fuselage of the plane was found a long way off from the plane crash site. He said the power of the bomb caused the plane to break-up in mid-air, “which explains why the fuselage of the plane was found across great distance.”
— غريب (@Iq2015Bgd) October 31, 2015
The confirmation from Kremlin comes a day after Russia’s Security Chief had admitted that it was a bomb that brought down the jet. The investigation indicates that the explosion’s epicenter was believed to be at the rear of the cabin, near the tail section, reported International Business Times. Metrojet Flight 9268 was an Airbus A321 passenger plane. The jet was flying from Sharm el-Sheikh resort in Egypt to St. Petersburg, when it crashed over Sinai desert in Egypt, killing all 224 people on board. The plane was airborne for a mere 22 minutes when an explosion occurred.
Within a few hours of the plane crash, video of the plane surfaced on social media sites. The video was uploaded by accounts that were affiliated with the terrorist organization, ISIS. The short clip, taken from land, showed a plane burning and coming down rapidly, as if crashing. The video did not show the actual crash, but the uploaders did confirm it was ISIS that was claiming responsibility.
While Russian President Vladimir Putin has vowed to hunt down those responsible for the plane’s downing, the FSB has announced a bounty of $50 million, reported ABC News. The reward will be offered in exchange of tangible information against the perpetrators, leading to the arrest of those involved in the apparent plot. In an emotionally charged speech, he addressed the nation, saying the following.
“We will not wipe tears from our heart and soul. This will remain with us forever. We will look for them everywhere, wherever they may hide themselves, we will find them, at any point on the planet, and we will take retribution. Russia will now intensify its military operations in Syria so that those behind the attack will understand retribution is inevitable.”
— Reuters Top News (@Reuters) November 18, 2015
While Russian airforce has been bombing ISIS strongholds and suspected training sites, France, too, intensified airstrikes in Syria after Paris was attacked. ISIS, on the other hand, recently released two videos that first warned Russia with a “Soon, Very Soon” message. The second video was addressed to America, as well as any other nation involved in the “crusader campaign.”
[Photo by Maxim Grigoriev/Russian Ministry for Emergency Situations via AP, File]