The refugee crisis at Hungary’s gates continues to worsen as hundreds of asylum seekers pile in from Serbia only to be denied entry. Having declared a state of emergency on Tuesday, September 15, 2015, Hungary sealed off its southern border with Serbia, according to CBC. Hungarian authorities indicated that they have rejected all 16 asylum requests submitted, are processing 32 claims coming in, and will prosecute 174 people breaking the laws of the new border regime.
In Yahoo! news, an Afghan woman holding a child on the Serbian side of the fence demanded, “Why are you doing this?” of the Hungarian riot police watching her in a group of 300 refugees, from the other side.
In facing the refugee problem, Hungary has been clear about its tough stance, right from the start of the crisis.
The Irish Times reported in August that Hungarian Prime Minister Victor Orban had issued the following warning to his E.U. counterparts.
“A modern mass migration could take place of millions, even tens of millions, and even hundreds of millions. There is no way back from a multicultural Europe. Neither to a Christian Europe, nor to a world of national cultures. If we make a mistake now, it will be forever.”
Echoing Orban’s concerns, Slovak Prime Minister Robert Fico released his own declaration.
“Since Slovakia is a Christian country, we cannot tolerate an influx of three hundred thousand to four hundred thousand Muslim immigrants who would like to start building mosques all over our land and trying to change the nature, culture and values of the state.”
To further inflame this type of rhetoric, Saudi Arabia recently offered to build 200 mosques in Germany to help the European Union handle the Islamic tide surging in.
Observing Muslim behavior has given the potential host of these asylum seekers a clear picture of their Islamic mindset. As followers of the prophet Mohammed, they obey certain Koranic teachings that show up in their day-to-day actions: 1) regarding women, Sahih al-Bukhari Volume 3, Book 48, Number 826, says that the witness of a woman equals half that of a man because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind; 2) regarding non-Muslims, Surah 8, ayat 12, says strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them; 3) regarding Jews, Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 52, Number 177, says believers will be given victory over Jews so that a stone will say, “O Muslim! There is a Jew behind me; kill him! ” 4) regarding Muslims who convert to another religion, Shahih Bukhari 9:83:37, says the blood of a Muslim cannot be shed except in three cases — in Qisas for murder, a married person who commits illegal sexual intercourse and the one who reverts from Islam and leaves the Muslims.
This set of beliefs degrading women and allowing certain types of justified killing are alien to secular nations with Christian-based traditions of neighborly love and turning the other cheek. Like trying to mix oil with water.
At the same time, the internet has archived disturbing events that have become part of European awareness.
1) Dutch filmmaker Theodoor “Theo” van Gogh, great grand nephew of painter Vincent van Gogh, was murdered by Moroccan Muslim Mohammed Bouyeri for criticizing the treatment of Islamic women in a documentary.
2) Two Muslim brothers Saïd and Chérif Kouachi, armed with assault rifles and other weapons, killed 11 people and injured 11 more in the building of French newspaper Charlie Hebdo that published satirical cartoons of the prophet Mohammed. Over 40 world leaders showed a united front for the victims in Paris, and 3.7 million people across France demonstrated in solidarity with Charlie Hebdo.
3) Armed Muslim Man Haron Monis took 17 hostages in a Sydney, Australia, café, killed two of them and injured four others in a standoff with police.
4) Nineteen Muslim terrorists hijacked four American passenger planes on 9/11. 200 Americans died when American Airlines Flight 77 crashed into the Pentagon. 2752 people died when American Airlines Flight 11 and United Airlines Flight 175, were flown into the North and South towers of the World Trade Center in New York City. Forty passengers of United Airlines Flight 93 died when they fought the hijackers, crashing the plane in a field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania.
5) Nation of Islam follower John Allen Muhammad and his partner Lee Boyd Malvo committed 22 serial murders via sniper shootings across the U.S.
6) Abdulhakim Mujahid Muhammad, formerly Carlos Bledsoe, became a Sunni Muslim after listening to Louis Farrakhan, the Nation of Islam leader. He opened fire on U.S. soldiers in front of a recruiting center in Little Rock, Arkansas, killing a private and injuring a second one.
7) Black Muslim James A. Larry shot to death his mother, pregnant wife, infant son, and two nieces in Marquette Park, Illinois, for not converting to Islam.
8) Black Muslim Alton Nolen beheaded a female co-worker and wounded another one in Moore, Oklahoma, because they would not convert to Islam.
9) Jordanian Muslim Ali Mahwood-Awad Irsan shot and killed Gelareh Bagherzadeh who’d converted to Christianity. Ali later also killed his daughter’s Christian husband.
10) Muslim Chechen brothers Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and Tamerlan Tsarnaev killed three people and injured about 264 others with two bombs set off during the Boston Marathon.
In its handling of the refugee question, Hungary would have to weigh all these images of communities conflicted from within and waiting to implode.
[Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images]