Jared Fogle, the disgraced former spokesperson for Subway Restaurants, was in court today to address accusations of possessing and distributing child porn and traveling across state lines to have sex with underage girls.
CNN has quoted U.S. Attorney John Minkler that Jared “has notified the court that he intends to plead guilty.”
Jared has yet to actually enter his guilty plea, for which he has been offered a deal. The deal will result in Jared spending between 5 and 13 years in prison, along with adhering to a long list of conditions.
In court documents released by The U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana, Indianapolis Division, Jared has been accused of the following, involving a total 14 minors.
- During the period between 2011 and 2015, Jared received child pornography from Russel Taylor, the former executive director of the Jared Foundation, an organization committed to addressing childhood obesity. Jared showed the child pornography to at least one other person.
- It is thought that Jared and Taylor did not use the Jared Foundation to procure sex with minors — a major concern for many observers.
- The majority of the children who were photographed were unaware that they had been victimized until approached by investigators.
- Between 2010 and 2013, Jared traveled to New York City with the specific purpose of paying for sex minors.
- Investigators seized computers, cell phones and cameras, along with thousands of images and videos, from Jared’s Indiana home.
- Jared regularly offered minors cash to find other underage girls for him to have sex with.
The specific details of the charges are included in Jared’s indictment.
Jared will pay restitution of $100,000 per victim, some of whom are now adults, for a total of $1.4 million.
Upon learning of the accusations, Jared’s spouse, Katie, issue the following statement, reported by TMZ.
“I am in the process of seeking a dissolution of the marriage. My focus is exclusively on the well-being of my children. Neither I nor my family will have any further comment on the matter.”
As part of the plea deal, Jared will be required undergo medical treatment and be prohibited from possessing any pornography whatsoever. Jared will be banned from any unsupervised contact with minors or participating in any activities that may bring him in contact with minors. Jared will be required to register as a sex offender and consent to searches. Jared will be permitted to continue to use computers, but must agree to authorities monitoring his usage. Jared must also provide a DNA sample and has agreed that he will not appeal the charges.
The Inquisitr has previously reported on the series of text messages that Jared had exchanged with a Subway franchisee. The Subway franchisee became uncomfortable with Jared and showed the texts to a lawyer. In the texts, the former Subway Spokesman can be seen acknowledging to the Subway franchisee that he had sex with a 16-year-old and that it was “amazing!”
[Featured Jared Photo by Christopher Polk / Getty Images — Muppet Jared Photo by Jason Merritt / Getty Images]