Day At The Fair Turns Tragic When Dallas Girl, 2, Dies In Hot Car — Mercury Soared To 98 That Day

When the parents of Nariyah Raufu, 2, got home from the fair on a hot Dallas day Friday, they walked inside for a nap. What they didn’t know as they snoozed was that their little girl was still in the hot car.

And when they finally realized their mistake, it was too late. By 7 p.m. that night, she was pronounced dead, WFAA reported.

Now, at that same house on Garden Terrace Drive, a note has been taped to the door telling the media they are in mourning, and not to knock asking questions, the Dallas Morning News added.

“A lot of people think, how can this happen? How can you forget about a child? But unfortunately, every summer we hear about these types of tragedies happening,” Doug Shupe, AAA spokesman, told NBC Dallas-Fort Worth.

Information about how exactly the toddler was left behind are sketchy at the moment. But the parents apparently told Dallas police that when they arrived home from spending a day with their kids at Fair Park, they believed all them had gotten out of the vehicle and went in the house.

It’s not immediately clear how many kids they have, the length of their nap, or how long Nariyah was in the vehicle.

She was discovered after her father awoke and went to work on the car in the afternoon. He found his little girl, still strapped in her safety seat.

A police spokesman said he “immediately removed (her) … and took her inside where he called 911 as the mother performed CPR for approximately 30 minutes.”

The mom then took the girl to the hospital, where she was pronounced dead at 7:05 p.m.

Temperatures in the area soared to 98 degrees Friday afternoon, though even mild temperatures can make a car dangerously hot, NBC added.

The case is under investigation and no charges have been filed. Detectives with Child Protective Services are involved in the investigation as well.

A total of 95 children have died from heat stroke in this manner since 1998; so far in 2015 across the country, nine have perished.

[Photo Courtesy Twitter]