Baltimore Mayor Soaked In Water, Woman Arrested

The Baltimore mayor, soaked in water, was shocked after a woman took a cup and dumped liquid over her head at the Mondawmin Festival in Baltimore.

The woman, 37-year-old Lacheisa Pailin-Sheffer, allegedly ran up to city Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake and dumped a large cup of water over her head, according to The Baltimore Sun. The mayor’s aides helped the Baltimore mayor to dry off and a member of her executive protection unit placed Pailin-Sheffer in handcuffs.

The Baltimore mayor was stunned by the incident, and she hoped the liquid was not dangerous.

“I didn’t know what it was that she threw at me. I hope it was water. It was more shocking than anything else.”

The Mondawmin Festival was held at a Mondawmin Mall, where protests occurred after Freddie Gray died from a spinal injury he received while purportedly in Baltimore police custody, according to WSOCTV. The festival attracted crowds with live music and free food, and representatives from city agencies and nonprofits also attend.

The crowd was served 1,000 hamburgers and 800 hot dogs for free, and 300 volunteers helped bring the festival successfully together.

Kevin Cleary, community program manager in the Mayor’s Office of Emergency Management, said the Baltimore mayor wanted the festival planned for residents so they would have access to certain resources and to bring in business for retailers at the mall after the riots.

Many people who came to the festival were in search of jobs, legal services, and housing. Many were able to obtain information about those concerns.

The festival was almost over by late afternoon, and many people were happy to see the community come together peacefully for something good.

Resident Lucy Stuckey was happy with the way the festival turned out.

“It’s beautiful here. It’s something good for the kids.”

As for Pailin-Sheffer, her choice to dump liquid on the Baltimore mayor’s head at the festival led to a second-degree assault charge.

Although a little soaked and shaken, the Baltimore mayor went on to enjoy the festival. She visited other booths, but then left to speak to supporters. The Baltimore mayor visited a basketball clinic later that day.

“Fortunately, the mayor is fine. She went on and had a great time at the festival. She enjoys opportunities like this to engage with the people of Baltimore. This was an odd, random incident. Things like this happen,” her spokesperson said.

[Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images News]