A fireworks show malfunction caused Saginaw, Michigan, to cut short their July 4 show. Bill Giorgis, the Saginaw Area Fireworks President, claimed that a malfunction was the reason the fireworks display was cut short before 40 minutes had passed.
“The top of one of the large guns blew off and took out the main fire control module, and that blew all connectivity for the rest of the show. The computer told them that they had lost connectivity. One of the big shells, it didn’t ground-fire, but it blew the modules. There is no imminent danger or emergency right now.”
Luckily, no one was injured during the fireworks show malfunction. The fireworks show that was planned by the Saginaw Area Fireworks board cost $70,000. The money for the show is raised strictly by donations. At the time of the fireworks show malfunction, approximately 15 to 30 percent of the show was left remaining.
People in attendance shared their displeasure for the shortened fireworks show on Twitter.
Something definitely was wrong with Saginaw’s fireworks. It seemed they had to end it early.
— Kebbi R. Kelley II (@4bdu_) July 5, 2015
— Josh Koepplinger (@josh_koepp18) July 5, 2015
Fireworks TRASH in Saginaw man…
— Kody Burton (@BDelayedpro) July 5, 2015
S/O to my dad with the Saginaw fireworks even tho they didn’t go as planned glad everybody is okay 💗
— Madi Carter (@madikcarter) July 5, 2015
The fireworks show in Saginaw was estimated to have been attended by close to 100,000 people. People flock to Saginaw for their annual fireworks show by sailing their boats down the Saginaw River or by finding any empty spot along the busy streets. Mary Smith has been coming to Saginaw for their fireworks show for the last 65 years.
“We got out here around 5:30 p.m. today. People came and watched us play cards for a little bit. It’s amazing that people come together for this. We used to come when we were little kids. It just gets better and better every year. We used to go to Bay City, but now Saginaw’s is better.”
The fireworks show malfunction in Saginaw, Michigan, was not the only July 4 celebrations this year to have problems. Earlier today, the Inquisitr reported on a fireworks show malfunction in Avon, Colorado. During the show in Avon, nine people were injured. The fireworks show was stopped after only 17 minutes.
Did a fireworks show malfunction happen for you during any of the Independence Day celebrations?
[Image via Mlive.com]