There are many ways to obtain an Exotic weapon in Destiny. It can come as a random reward for completing a mission, Strike, or Crucible match or simply purchased from Xur and his weekly visits. Another way is through Exotic bounties. This is a guide to complete the “A Light in the Dark” bounty to receive the Thorn Exotic hand cannon.
The steps to obtain Thorn admittedly have two difficult steps to complete. Here are the steps that you will need to take once you accept the “A Dubious Task” bounty.
- Complete The Summoning Pits on the Moon.
- Earn 500 points by killing Hive enemies on the Moon.
- Earn 500 points in Crucible using Void Damage to defeat Guardians. Death will slow your progress.
- Obtain an Infusion of Light from The Speaker.
- Talk to Ikora Rey.
- Kill Xyor, the Unwed.
- Return to the Speaker to claim Thorn.
- When trying to earn 500 points by killing Hive enemies on the moon, focus on activities that have plenty of Hive Majors and Ultras to face. They are worth 20 points and 50 points respectively. The Summoning Pits strike is always good, but so are missions like “The Dark Beyond” (We’ve woken the Hive!) and any others with a Heroic modifier.
- Trying to get 500 points worth of kills using Void damage in Crucible can be tough. Every kill is adds 5 points while every death subtracts 2. Equip your best special weapon and heavy weapon with Void damage. If you have an Atheon’s Epilogue from Vault of Glass or Word of Crota from Crota’s End, go with that as your primary to make things even easier. Mase sure use to the Guardian sub-class that uses Void (unless you’re a Hunter). Melee and grenade kills with a Void sub-class plus the Warlock Nova Bomb super count too. This step is easiest to complete with a Warlock, followed by a Titan. Hunters will find this difficult to complete unless they have a Void primary weapon.
- The Infusion of Light from the Speaker costs one Mote of Light, so have one handy.
- Xyor the Unwed is part of a special Summoning Pit strike that will show up on the Moon map. There is no matchmaking for this and it runs as a level 26 strike. You’ll need to reach Phogoth and damage him until the third Tombship drops Xyor into the pit. Bring friends or find others that need to complete the task on the Fireteams sub-Reddit or Destinylfg.
How Do I Get An Exotic Bounty?
Getting an Exotic bounty is random, so you are at the mercy of Destiny‘s RNG (random number generator) like so much else in the game. Completing regular Vanguard and Crucible bounties daily and turning them all in at once with Xander 99-40, the Bounty Tracker, seems to be the best shot though. This is simply because you are increasing your chances at receiving a bounty due to the number of tries. Turning them in one at a time works just as well though, aside from increasing your trips to the tower.
The Postmaster will also occasionally give out Exotic bounties. This can occur when you reach a new Vanguard, Crucible, or Faction level and go to the Postmaster to collect your reward.
Other Exotic Quest Guides
- A Dubious Task – Invective
- A Voice in the Wilderness – Super Good Advice
- Shattered Memory Fragment – Pocket Infinity
- Toland’s Legacy – Bad Juju
The “An Unknown Patron” bounty for the Fate of All Fools scout rifle is not in the game yet. Until then, this guy is the only one in the world has one. When the bounty is officially available in the game it will be added to the list.
Other Destiny Guides
- Crota’s End Guide – Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4
- How to complete ‘Urn of Sacrifice’ Quest for ‘The Dark Below’
- How to find ‘Husk of the Pit’ rifle and upgrade to ‘Nechrochasm’
[Image via Destinypedia]