Justin Bieber may have been on a break this year, but tweets about the superstar were anything but.
As the year’s end draws close, social media networks are compiling their statistics. It has been revealed that Justin Bieber was the most tweeted-about artist in 2014, generating the most tweets by a musician — according to Twitter’s report which was released today.
Snapping at the Canadian’s heels are the members of little known (kidding!) Brit boy band One Direction: Niall Horan, Harry Styles and Liam Payne in second, third and fourth place respectively. Literally no love for Zayn.
Not surprisingly then, data for the most tweeted about fanbase reflects the top two, artist-wise.
The notoriously passionate Beliebers land the number one spot for most-tweeted about fan army. It’s no small feat considering the entire Directioners legion came second.
Drake Bell figured nowhere on any list, anywhere.
However, it’s not all male-centric. Katy Perry, who already rules Twitter as far as followers, also picked up the most followers in 2014.
The “Roar” songstress gained 13 million followers this year, powering her to 60 million.
Justin placed second for Twitter followers growth, gaining 11 million this year, which brings his total to 57.6 million.
Taylor Swift rounds out the top three most-followed artists on Twitter.
Beyonce’s, self-titled, stealth-released album last December was the most tweeted about album in 2014.
Twitter’s comprehensive reports also noted that music was the most tweeted-about topic of the year. That subdivided into hip-hop, R&B and pop as the genres that were tweeted about the most.
Moving on to music events, the close of the Super Bowl halftime concert with Bruno Mars and Red Hot Chili Peppers generated 229,533 tweets per minute, which was the highest.
Imagine Dragons and Kendrick Lamar’s performance at the Grammys followed that with 171,593, Lorde winning best pop solo performance at the Grammys was next with 152,888, her Grammys performance placing fourth with 146,083 tweets per minute.
Take a look at the full lists below via Variety.
2014’s most-tweeted about artists:
- Justin Bieber
- Niall Horan
- Harry Styles
- Liam Payne
- Ariana Grande
- Demi Lovato
- Lady Gaga
- Louis Tomlinson
- Taylor Swift
Top music artists who experienced the most Twitter follower growth in 2014:
- @KatyPerry: gained 13 million followers
- @JustinBieber: gained 11 million followers
- @TaylorSwift13: gained 10 million followers
- @ArianaGrande: gained 9.5 million followers
- @JTimberlake: gained 9.1 million followers
- @SelenaGomez: gained 7.9 million followers
- @DDlovato: gained 6.2 million followers
- @Rihanna: gained 6.2 million followers
- @BritneySpears: gained 6.1 million followers
- @OneDirection: gained 5.5 million followers
2014’s most tweeted-about fan armies
- Beliebers - (Justin Bieber )
- Directioners - (One Direction)
- Animals - (Ke$ha)
- Lovatics - (Demi Lovato)
- Sones - (Girls’ Generation)
- Rihanna Navy - (Rihanna)
- Mahomies/Mahonies - (Austin Mahone)
- Swifties - (Taylor Swift)
- Aliens - (Tokio Hotel)
- Selenators - (Selena Gomez)
A sampling of 2014’s top tweeted-about songs:
- Pharrell Williams - Happy
- John Legend - All Of Me
- Nicki Minaj - Anaconda
- Ariana Grande - Problem
- Lady GaGa - ARTPOP
- Magic! - Rude
- Demi Lovato - Really Don’t Care
- Beyonce - Drunk In Love
- One Direction - Night Changes
- Little Mix - Little Me
2014’s most-tweeted-about albums:
- Beyoncé, “Beyoncé”
- 5 Seconds of Summer, “5 Seconds of Summer”
- Taylor Swift, “1989”
- Michael Jackson, “Xscape”
- Ed Sheeran, “X”
- Chris Brown, “X”
- Coldplay, “Ghost Stories”
- Rick Ross, “Mastermind”
- The Vamps, “Meet the Vamps”
- Ariana Grande, “My Everything”
The top 30 US music-related trends and hashtags:
[Image via Teen Vogue]