I'm getting a LOT of chats from people who have been laid off. Most of the time I find that they just aren't presenting a good face to me for me to help them find a new job.
If you are laid off, here's what you need to do:
1. Your blog is your resume. You need one and it needs to have 100 posts on it about what you want to be known for.
2. Remove all LOLCats from your blog.
3. Remove all friends from your facebook and twitter accounts that will embarrass you. We do look. If we see photos of people getting drunk with you that is a bad sign. Get rid of them. They will NOT help you get a job.
4. Demonstrate you are "clued in." This means removing ANYTHING that says you are a "social media expert" from your Twitter account. There is no such thing and even if there were there's no job in it for you. Chris Brogan already has that job and he's not giving it up.
5. Demonstrate you have kids and hobbies, but they should be 1% of your public persona, not 99%. Look at my blog here. You'll see my son's photo on Flickr once in a while. But mostly I talk about the tech industry, cause that's the job I want to have: talking to geeks and innovators.
Continue Reading >>>