Vice President Joe Biden confirmed today that U.S. officials were looking into a credible terror threat. Biden said that the source of the threat was credible but that it was not certain that an attack had been planned.
ABC reports that information obtained by CIA over the last 48 hours shows that three men may have entered the United States with the intent of launching a vehicle-bomb attack.
Here’s a video of Joe Biden talking about the terror threat on “Good Morning America.”
Biden said that officials have been running over every lead as we approach the 10th anniversary of 9/11.
“We recovered documents from the Bin Laden compound that said he was interested in an attack on 9/11 so we’ve been very focused on this. There were specifics (to this terror threat) so in that sense its credible. But there’s no certitude, we don’t have the smoking gun.”
ABC reports that a bulletin was sent out by the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security to law enforcement agencies across the country warning about a terrorist attack on 9/11.
Security officials believe that three people entered the country after mid-August with the intent of avenging Osama Bin Laden’s death. The three people have not been identified, but authorities are currently combing through a list of suspects.
New York police commissioner Ray Kelley said that he was deploying extra bomb-sniffing dogs and radiation detection equipment beginning Friday morning. Kelly also said that his officers would be performing random vehicle checks and that illegally parked cars would be immediately towed.
The terror threat did not specifically target New York.