Luke Bryan Stage Collapses, Four Workers Hurt, Kentucky Concert Canceled

Luke Bryan, the country music superstar known for such hits as “Drunk on You, “Country Girl (Shake It For Me)” and “Rain Is A Good Thing,” was forced to cancel a concert in Lexington, Kentucky, last week when his portable stage fell apart.

Fortunately, neither Luke Bryan nor anyone else was performing on the stage when the accident occurred. The mishap happened after the Luke Bryan concert last Thursday at Ohio State University’s Schottenstein Center, The Los Angeles Times reported.

The incident occurred shortly after midnight on Friday morning, long after Bryan had completed his performance for the evening.

According to The Columbus Dispatch, the accident resulted when workers were taking apart the portable stage used on the Luke Bryan That’s My Kind of Night Tour, when a forklift pulled away from the structure. Somehow, the withdrawal of the forklift caused part of the stage to be “toppled,” the paper said.

But the gossip web site TMZ heard the story a little differently. In the TMZ version, the forklift “crashed into a portion of the stage during take down, and it crumpled.”

Police showed up and were on the scene for about 35 minutes. Four workers were “slightly” hurt, though no details on their injuries were made available.

However, a fan captured an image of the damage to the stage and posted it on her Twitter account.

“It was minor injuries that really could have been catastrophic,” Luke Bryan told a Lexington radio show later, quoted in The New York Daily News. “We had one guy, if he had not gotten out of the way, it would have been a life-and-death situation. It was scary, but everyone’s okay and no fans were in the building when this happened.”

The canceled Luke Bryan show in Lexington will now be rescheduled, with February 21 as the target date. So far, the rest of the tour will take place as planned. The singer apologized to his Kentucky fans, via his Facebook account.

“Thanks to all of you who have been understanding through this whole deal,” read a statement on the Luke Bryan page. “We just couldn’t take the chance of doing a show that might not be safe. I appreciate all my fans and look forward to seeing you in Feb.”

Luke Bryan is touring to support his album Crash My Party, which came out in 2013 and has sold 1.5 million copies. He is scheduled to play the famed Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles on October 25.