The Game of the Year 2013 awards are here. Instead of going by opinions or votes (because The Inquisitr has no voting system), we have chosen this year's potential winners according to Metacritic scores. That's how the industry publishers do it, and it's only fair and logical that we take the same route.
Keep in mind that what we consider to be a video game is something interactive with a specific goal in mind and a level of challenge. Flower for PS4 is the top-rated title, but it's not technically a game. The critic ratings are a number out of 100 while user ratings are out of ten. We took the user ratings and multiplied them by ten and then calculated an average for the most accurate results.
Here is a recap of the console Game of the Year 2013 award winners for this year:
- The Inquisitr's PS4 Game of the Year winner is Sound Shapes, with an average Metacritic score of 81.5. This is rather impressive for a smaller game to beat out the likes of Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and Battlefield 4.
- Our Xbox One winner is FIFA 14, with an average score of 75. This is its combined review score, not based in any way on the number sold, due to its bundle status. The soccer (football outside the US) title snagged the victory for Microsoft's next gen console.
- The PlayStation 3 winner is The Last of Us, with an average score of 93. Joel and Ellie are just that entertaining in this re-imagining of the zombie game genre.
- The Inquisitr's Game of the Year for Xbox 360 is Grand Theft Auto V, with an average score of 89.
- Wii U's winner for 2013 is Super Mario 3D World, with an average score of 92. Mario is simply the best there is at what he does, and he's proving it again this year.
- The Nintendo 3DS winner is Fire Emblem: Awakening, scoring an average of 92. We honestly thought it was going to be Pokemon, but Pikachu and friends grabbed a close third behind Zelda.
- The Inquisitr's Game of the Year for PS Vita is Tearaway, earning a Metacritic score of 88.
If you have been keeping track of the numbers, you already know what the top three games for this year will be. Third Place is held by GTA 5 for Xbox 360. Tied at Second Place are the Nintendo console winners Super Mario 3D World and Fire Emblem: Awakening.
The winner of The Inquisitr's 2013 Console Game of the Year is The Last of Us for PlayStation 3. Naughty Dog apparently did the right thing retooling the game after an early demo created lackluster hype leading up to the game's release.
Do you agree with our results, or was there a game you thought deserved at least a console win?
[image via Shutterstock]