John McCain claimed a “massive cover-up” surrounds the Benghazi attacks on September 11, 2012. The Republican senator’s comments were made during an interview on Sunday’s Meet The Press.
McCain was on the show to speak about the contentious confirmation of defense secretary nominee Chuck Hagel.
Yahoo! News reports that the Arizona senator told host David Gregory:
“There are so many answers we don’t know. We’ve had two movies about getting bin Laden and we don’t even know who the people who were evacuated from the consulate the day after the [Benghazi] attack.”
Gregory pressed McCain on the issue, asking what he meant by “a massive cover-up.” McCain responded by saying:
“[It is a cover-up of] the information concerning the deaths of four brave Americans. The information has not been forthcoming … I’ll be glad to send you a list of the questions that have not been answered.”
McCain’s claim of a massive cover-up on the Benghazi attacks is something the congressman has pushed for months. CNN notes that he has been very outspoken since the attack and has gone to great lengths to get answers from the Obama administration.
McCain and fellow Republican Senators Kelly Ayotte and Lindsey Graham called for answers from the White House last week about Benghazi before they were willing to vote for Chuck Hagle’s nomination.
While some of those answers were given, John McCain said he still will not vote for Hagel’s nomination. He explained:
“I don’t believe he’s qualified. But I don’t believe that we should hold up his nomination any further.”
Do you agree with Senator John McCain’s claim that there is a massive cover-up surrounding the Benghazi attacks last September?