New Details Surface In Belcher Murder-Suicide

New Details In Belcher Murder-Suicide

Police arrived at the parking lot of the Kansas City Chiefs‘ practice facility shortly after receiving a call about a disturbance involving an armed person.

According to NBC News, this is when one of the people (who turned out to be linebacker Jovan Belcher) spotted the police and moved behind a vehicle.

“From that position Belcher shot himself one time in the head,” according to one of two incident reports released by the Kansas City Police Department on Monday.

Belcher was taken to a nearby hospital and died. He was 25 years old.

The police reports begin to piece together the events around the apparent murder-suicide by the Chiefs linebacker on Saturday.

According to the Associated Press, police hope to deliver an investigative report to prosecutors Tuesday laying out what prompted Belcher to kill his girlfriend, Kasandra Perkins, and himself. Kasandra Perkins was the mother of Belcher’s three-month-old daughter.

Kansas City police Sgt. Marisa Barnes told the Associated Press:

“They’re moving it along just like any other case. There’s a formal process it has to go through.”

The other report released Monday says that police responded to a call reporting a shooting that came in just nine minutes earlier. That call pointed them to the home Belcher shared with Perkins, 22.

Upon arrival, police found Perkins on the floor of the master bedroom. She was unresponsive and suffering from apparent gunshot wounds. She was pronounced dead at the hospital.

After Belcher shot Perkins, he drove his black Bentley to the practice facility, which was about 7 miles away at Arrowhead Stadium.

When Belcher arrived at the practice field, he spoke briefly to Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli, head coach Romeo Crennel and an assistant coach, before shooting himself.

Kansas City police spokesman Darrin Snapp confirmed that the gun was purchased legally by Belcher.

Belcher’s mother has been given temporary custody of the couple’s daughter Zoey, reports the Associated Press.