Curt Schilling Hosts Estate Sale, Draws Huge Crowd

Curt Schilling hosted his own estate sale on Saturday, selling everything from a dining room table and a grand piano to dirty cleats and DVDs.

Schilling held the massive sale at his old home, a 8,000-square-foot behemoth he and his wife purchased from Drew Bledsoe for $4.5 million in 2004.

While some sale-goers may have been disappointed they didn't see memorabilia like the bloody sock Schilling wore from the famous 2004 World Series, they did have some interesting finds, notes ESPN.

One shopper, Bill Fegley, purchased two bathroom scales for a respectable $8 each with the logic that, just maybe, the former Red Sox pitcher stood on them while wearing the bloody sock.

Consignworks Inc., an estate sale company, opened the seven-bedroom former Schilling home all day on Saturday to sell off as much as possible. Curt Schilling's wife, Shonda, took to Facebook this week to explain that the estate sale is being held only because they're downsizing to a new home, instead of the rumor that they needed the money.

However, the rumor that the Schillings need the money wouldn't be too far fetched, reports The Boston Globe. The former Red Sox pitcher is currently involved in a lawsuit filed by the Rhode Island Economic Development Corp. over the collapse of startup video game company 38 Studios. The agency approved a $75 million loan guarantee in 2010 for 38 Studios to lure the company to Providence from Massachusetts.

However, the company went bankrupt before it could move. Schilling previously stated that he invested $50 million in the company and lost all of his earnings from baseball in the process. He called the EDC's claims baseless as well, saying that the suit is political. Schilling already sold some of his baseball memorabilia to satisfy creditors, including the infamous bloody sock.

There was no word on how much Curt Schilling's estate sale made, and press wasn't permitted on the property. Shoppers weren't allowed to take photos of the home or use their cell phones while they were inside.

[Image via Debby Wong /]