Woman Died Because Gym Worker Refused To Enter Ladies Bathroom

A 22-year-old woman died in a gym bathroom because a male employee refused to enter and help her.

Emily Hamlin visited Planet Fitness to partake in a morning workout session in February, but after completing her efforts she collapsed in a bathroom.

Stephanie Dick, a gym member who was in the changing room at the time of the incident, heard Ms. Hamlin collapse to the ground in the locker room and immediately sought assistance.

She said in a sworn affidavit, “I heard a flush, then a thud. I saw a woman’s arm drop to the floor, followed immediately by a loud snoring sound.” She then ran to the front desk where she came across the employee, Sean Higgins, however he was unable to helped and “said he didn’t know what to do and that he wasn’t allowed to go into the ladies’ bathroom.”

Ms. Dick then added, “He said he was the only one working there and that a girl was expected to come in, but he didn’t know when she would arrive.” She also added that he remained frozen in shock and “was scared and confused and didn’t know what to do.”

Records then state that Mr. Higgins eventually called emergency services, but only four minutes after being informed of the situation. When a female employee did arrive, Kristin Smith, she “immediately” checked Ms. Hamlin’s status, and found that she had a weak pulse. Police arrived at the scene at 5.28am, but unfortunately Ms. Hamlin was pronounced dead at 6.03am.


Jeanine Hamlin, Emily’s devastated mother, was aghast at the incompetence shown by both the company and Mr. Higgins that she has since filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against them.

The 52-year-old stated, “I want to know why no on helped her! He could have simply called 911! It’s baffling to me.”

Who do you think is to blame for Emily Hamlin’s death?

[Image via schantalao/Shutterstock]