Aussie documentary maker plans virginity auction, people freak out

The concept of auctioning off one’s virginity is not unheard of- in fact, this time I’m positive there was an episode of Law and Order: Special Victims Unitdevoted entirely to the concept. (The one with Martin Short, you might recall.)

And while I’m not convinced this isn’t a publicity stunt, social experiment or straight-up hoax, people are getting all het up over a proposed reality show wherein a bunch of virgins auction off their virginity to the highest bidder. Filmmaker Justin Sisley “was forced” to move the project from Australia to Nevada because authorities said they would charge him with prostitution if the project went ahead, but surprisingly, Americans are just as displeased with the idea.

Each of the participants (three so far) will get $20,000 (Australian), plus 90% of the winning bid- the remaining 10% will go to the brothel hosting the show. Even with the 90/10 split, one participant still believes the whole sex for money thing doesn’t constitute prostitution. Going by the name “Veronica,” the participant says:

“Technically I’m selling my virginity for money, technically that would be classified as prostitution, but it’s not going to be a regular thing, so in my head I can justify that I’m not going to be a prostitute,” she told the paper.

“I don’t think I’ll regret it.”

Generally, if I have to call one thing another thing in my head, I know that there is a high likelihood I will end up regretting it- hopefully “Veronica” will fare better there. And if “Veronica” sounds not entirely comfortable with her decision, the male participants sound decidedly less confident:

Fellow lot Alex, 20, explained he’d “applied as a way of meeting someone”, while another, Ronan, said he was “sick of waiting for the right girl and would consider any offers”.