6,000 Gallons Of Scotch Accidentally Flushed By Workers

Nearly 6,000 gallons of Scotch whisky was accidentally flushed by workers in Scotland.

Employees at the Chivas Brothers bottling plant in Dumbarton thought they were draining waste water on Tuesday. Instead, the workers dumped around 6,000 of Scotch down the drain. The product was described as being “high quality” and “top dollar.”

According to the Los Angeles Times, the smell of the whisky was so strong that sewage workers quickly reported the problem to officials. An investigation into the accident is currently underway.

Many folks were concerned that the 6,000 gallons of Scotch flushed by the bottling planet had found its way into the local water supply.

The company said in a statement:

“There has been no release of spirit to the River Leven or any other local water course.”

The Daily Meal explains the whisky was flushed by workers during the overnight shift. However, no one noticed the mistake until around 11 am the following morning. Workers said it was like someone had simply “turned on the tap.”

An insider told The Scottish Sun:

“It happened on a night-shift washout — that’s when the equipment is cleaned for a changeover between different products. Instead of draining the water and cleaning solution, they flushed out all the whisky.”

A Scottish Water spokesperson explained that officials were aware of the problem when they were contacted by representatives from Chivas brothers.

The spokesperson added:

“Our trade effluent team have now visited the company to get an oversight into its failure investigation so that we can ensure all possible precautions are being taken to prevent a repeat.

“Discharging large volumes of alcohol into the sewer network can have an adverse impact on waste water treatment processes, particularly during dry, cold weather. We are continuing to closely monitor our Dumbarton waste water treatment works to ensure treatment has not been compromised.”

What do you think about the 6,000 gallons of Scotch whisky that was accidentally flushed away by bottling plant workers?