Poisoned Lottery Winner’s Widow Didn’t Call Police, And Doesn’t Know Who Did [Video]

A family member of dead lottery winner Urooj Khan called investigators to say that Khan did not die of natural causes as was originally assumed.

A Chicago man got to experience the thrill of winning the lottery. Unfortunately, he died before he had a change to do anything with his winnings. While reports originally suggested that the man died of natural causes, a family member allegedly called police to report that the man’s death was anything but natural.

Sure enough, investigators discovered that Urooj Khan was actually poisoned with cyanide the day after winning the $1 million lottery. Khan, 46, died of cyanide poisoning one day after winning, according to the Cook County medical examiner. Since autopsies are generally not conducted on people under the age of 50 unless there are suspicious circumstances, Khan’s death was deemed natural, and his wife was left alone to grieve. Later, however, investigators received an alleged call from a reported family member, suggesting that there was something amiss about Khan’s untimely death.

The wife he left behind, however, has no idea who made that phone call to police to instigate a more thorough investigation.

Of the $1 million advertised on the winning lottery ticket, Khan was about to cash in on $425,000 in winnings. His July 20 death came as a shock to his wife, Shabana Ansari, and 17-year-old daughter.

Ansari reportedly told The Associated Press that she did not make the request to further investigate her husband’s death, and she does not know who did. Now that officials have labeled the case a homicide, Ansari reportedly does not know who would have wanted her husband dead.

“I was shattered. I can’t believe he’s no longer with me,” said Ansari. “I don’t think anyone would have a bad eye for him or that he had any enemy.” Ansari added that she continues to work at the dry cleaner — one of three that her late husband opened since coming to the United States in 1989, out of respect for him.

ABC News reports that authorities are most likely going to exhume the body for further examination. Dr. Stephen Cina, Cook County’s chief medical examiner, notes: “We are in discussion with the state attorney about whether we are going to do an exhumation. Right now, we are leaning in that direction. We have a cause and matter of death on the books, and we’re comfortable with that.”

Cine also noted that the identity of the family member who called in the tip cannot be released due to the ongoing investigation.

Do you think something fishy is going on with the lottery winner’s death, and the secret family member who instigated the case?