Meriden, CT – We reported earlier on a $100M lawsuit against the state of Connecticut, the first piece of legal action to come out of the Sandy Hook School shooting two weeks ago. The lawsuit, filed on the behalf of an unnamed 6-year-old Sandy Hook survivor, has sparked a massive amount of outrage online.
The client, referred to as “Jill Doe,” is said to have heard “cursing, screaming, and shooting” over the school intercom when shooter Adam Lanza commenced his massacre two weeks ago, reports NBC News. “As a consequence, the… child has sustained emotional and psychological trauma and injury, the nature and extent of which are yet to be determined,” said the suit.
The claim also holds that the state Board of Education and others failed to protect children from “foreseeable harm.” Filed by New Haven-based attorney Irv Pinsky, the claim must be reviewed and either approved or denied by Claims Commissioner J. Paul Vance Jr. before the lawsuit can officially be levied against the state of Connecticut.
Despite the wide deluge of opinion and debate that has filled the void left in the wake of 20 murdered children, not everyone is on board with the lawsuit. In fact, many on the internet have outright condemned the claim.
“I know 20 parents that would love to have their child alive and traumatized,” wrote one Yahoo commenter (via MSN Now).
Many Twitter users have also sounded off on the Newtown lawsuit, finding that it is at the very least in poor taste for a surviving child’s parents to file the suit. The $100M pay-day makes it look like profiteering of the worst kind.
What kind ofdegenerate “parents” would run to a lawyer in the wake of such a traumatic event rather than tend to their child? Sickening.
— Crabby McTestyPants (@LilMissRightie) December 29, 2012
This is just disgusting. Sueing bc your child is alive. Way to try to make a buck off a tragedy.news.yahoo.com/claim-seeks-10… via @yahoonews
— Anne L (@Tribefanne) December 29, 2012
This just makes me sick inside. Leave it to greedy parents to profit from tragedy. UGH news.yahoo.com/claim-seeks-10…
— Talleen (@Talleen) December 29, 2012
What do you think? Do these parents have a right to sue Connecticut on behalf of their child, who survived the Sandy Hook massacre? Does it matter?