Empaths are people that may have an extraordinary ability to sense the emotions, feelings, and happenings of other individuals or even animals. Some people may call this hocus-pocus, but psychology points to the fact that empaths do, in fact, exist. According to Eliselebeau, there are many psychological and biological components that may exist to create an empath. Since science supports that empaths may exist, it is important to understand that if you are an empath, you may need to find different coping mechanisms than the majority of people. Empaths are easily drained emotionally and physically because they intuitively are feeling the emotions, including pain, of others. What are some signs that you are an empath?
- You find it draining to be in crowds, malls, or areas where many people are gathered.
- You frequently are exhausted with no known cause.
- You are unable to hear or read about extreme pain of animals, people, or watch war movies.
- You frequently feels moods that are seemingly unrelated to your life – for example, you feel elation without knowing why and then hours later discover your sister is pregnant.
- You intuitively know how others feel.
- You find that people seem to want to confide in you, even if they don’t know you well.
- You are frequently accused of being too sensitive.
- You have random mood swings that cannot be explained by other conditions.
- You go out of your way to help people that most people don’t.