Donald Trump’s rape lawsuit took a new twist on Wednesday, with the woman claiming Trump raped her at age 13 canceling a press conference in which she was set to come forward for the first time ever.
After gaining widespread media coverage, the press conference with lawyer Lisa Bloom ended abruptly when she told the assembled reporters that the woman was now fearful of the consequences of speaking out.
The woman, identified in court documents as Jane Doe, had claimed that Donald Trump raped her back in 1994, when she was a young teenager. She had previously pulled the case but this summer re-filed it with two new witnesses, both of whom were remaining anonymous.
Jane Doe was set to reveal her identity on Wednesday in a press conference where the details of Donald Trump’s rape accusations were supposed to be laid out. The lead-up to her news event dominated the afternoon news cycle, and a number of sites offered live streaming video of her remarks.
Though the Donald Trump rape accuser canceled her press conference, the details of the case are still circulating around. In the lawsuit, Jane Doe claimed that Trump tied her to a bed and raped her, the International Business Times reported.
“The details included in the original lawsuit are explicit. At one point, Trump allegedly tied up one of the girls onto a bed before repeatedly raping her while she pleaded for him to stop the assault. Trump’s lawyer says the accusations are not true.”
For his part, Donald Trump has denied the rape allegations for as long as the case has been making its way through the court system.
“As I have said before, the allegations are categorically untrue and an obvious publicity stunt aimed at smearing my client,” Trump attorney Alan Garten told LawNewz. “In the event we are actually served this time, we intend to move for sanctions for this frivolous filing.”
Before Monday’s canceled press conference, the rape accusations against Donald Trump had not registered much on the national stage. Though there were some outlets reporting on the court proceedings, it did not receive the same level of attention as Trump’s other sexual assault accusers or his comments on former Miss Universe winner Alicia Machado.
The rape lawsuit will now see the inside of a courtroom. As the Independent noted, Federal Judge Ronnie Abrams ordered a December status hearing for the case, with both sides making their case and a determination if the case will move forward.
The woman claiming Donald Trump raped her at age 13 could have some big power in her corner. LawNewz reported earlier this year that high-powered attorney Cheney Mason had signed on to represent Trump’s rape accuser. Mason gained national prominence for his role in defending Florida mother Casey Anthony, who was accused of killing her daughter but ultimately acquitted.
It is not clear how much effect the revelation from the 13-year-old rape accuser could have on Donald Trump. The timing is clearly difficult, with less than a week until Election Day and Trump still reeling from the other sexual assault allegations made over the course of the last few weeks. And it comes just as Trump appeared to be putting much of the controversy behind him, with the GOP nominee closing the gap between Hillary Clinton and pulling even in some key swing states.
But the canceled news conference could likely bury the Donald Trump rape lawsuit story once again, with less than a week until Election Day and other more notable revelations including the FBI’s continued investigation into Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server.
[Featured Image by J. Scott Applewhite/AP Images]