Billy Bush has hired a lawyer to represent his interests in the NBC Today Show debacle, and though Billy Bush still isn’t talking, his attorney, Marshall Grossman is. Grossman is defending the behavior of Billy Bush, and speaking out about an alleged $10 million settlement with NBC that he calls false.
After the Access Hollywood tape was released, the Today Show cast started expressing their thoughts on Bush, says the Inquisitr. While Savannah Guthrie and Al Roker simply stated that Bush was suspended, Tamron Hall said there was no date for his return, and Kathie Lee Gifford made it clear she didn’t want Bush to do the introduction to her hour of Today with Hoda Kotb. Representatives for many A list celebrities have said they have no intention on placing their clients on Today if Bush is there.
Billy Bush's lawyer: As an NBC employee, Bush wasn't in a position to challenge his interview subject (an NBC star) https://t.co/n2tqmAKQlD
— Hollywood Reporter (@THR) October 13, 2016
While it seems to be just a matter of days before Billy Bush is officially fired from NBC, Bush’s new attorney, Marshall Grossman says if Bush had called Donald Trump out on the Access Hollywood tape, or told him to stop, he would have been fired on the spot, says New York Magazine.
“If Billy had been passive or responded ‘Shut the f–k up’ to Trump, Billy would have been out of a job the next day.”
But the now infamous Access Hollywood tape was not the first time or last time Bush said something offensive in the course of an interview. Bush once asked Jennifer Lopez about her butt, leaving her incredibly and understandably annoyed.
RELATED REPORTS BY INQUISITR
Politico says that Billy Bush chose Marshall Grossman, because he is a high-powered Hollywood lawyer that will represent Bush’s best interests. Today Show executive producer Noah Oppenheim put out a memo on the current opinion of NBC when he announced Bush’s suspension.
“There is simply no excuse for Billy’s language and behavior on that tape.”
And Billy Bush feels that he made the Today Show aware of the Access Hollywood tape back in August when he boasted about the conversation he had with Donald Trump on the Access Hollywood bus.
— Stephanie Haney (@_StephanieHaney) October 16, 2016
Entertainment Weekly says that in working out a parting strategy with Billy Bush, the network will likely build in an incentive for him to keep a low profile, and not join another network right away. For now, Bush’s name and photo have been wiped from the Today Show digital billboard, hinting that there is no recovering at that position.
Though rumors have swirled around that Marshall Grossman was closing a $10 million exit package for Billy Bush, Grossman says this isn’t true, says US Weekly. Grossman says no dollar amount has been agreed upon.
“There are news reports that a $10 million settlement has been reached between Billy Bush and NBC. That report is false. There is no $10 million agreement and that amount has not been discussed. Negotiations are ongoing between the parties.”
Bush is now removing himself from social media. The day the Access Hollywood tape went public, Bush shut down his Twitter account, and as of this weekend, Bush’s public and private Facebook accounts are now down. An insider from the Today Show says that it’s just a matter of time before Bush is officially fired from the Today Show.
“He’s definitely gone. A lot of people feel so bad for him. He’s a good guy. He made a mistake, but he’s a genuinely good guy. They don’t see any way he can go back on morning TV after this.”
Billy Bush's lawyer tells me that $10M settlement report is totally false. "Not even discussed." https://t.co/xEBe1aCav5
— Matthew Belloni (@THRMattBelloni) October 15, 2016
Billy Bush has publicly apologized, and says that he is thoroughly embarrassed about the whole situation, but it’s too little too late for NBC.
Do you think Billy Bush will get a multi-million dollar severance from NBC?
[Featured Image by Craig Barritt/Getty Images]