Honor Student, Daizsa Bausby, Allegedly Sexually Abused And Murdered By Father

Daizsa Bausby was allegedly sexually abused and murdered by her father. Her body was found on March 21, inside a room at the 4 Acre Motel in south Kansas City, Missouri. Eighteen-year-old Daizsa was a cheerleader, an honor student, and a mentor to her classmates. By May 2016, she would have earned enough college credits to have graduated with a high school diploma, an associate’s degree, and the distinction of class salutatorian. She was well-loved by her teachers and friends, and they left a draped empty chair in her stead to honor her at graduation.

On Tuesday, September 22, her father, Jerry Bausby, was charged with first-degree murder, sodomy, and first-degree sexual abuse in the death of his daughter, per KCUR. Daizsa’s family and friends kept her name in the forefront of the local news by holding vigils and rallies as they sought justice. At one gathering, a woman definitively stated that one day it would be revealed who committed atrocities against such a beautiful young girl.

Not only was Daizsa an exceptional student, but she was a kind person who always helped others. Despite having a horrific home life, she managed to smile and excel in an early college program. However, her close friends knew about some of her struggles. One issue in her life was a drug-addicted, abusive father who she may have been trying to persuade to go to rehab on the night that he allegedly sexually abused and killed her.

Her family believes that the father was high on drugs when he called his daughter and that out of respect and love, she went to the motel to meet him shortly after 8:30 p.m., on March 20. The father rented the motel room at 9:30 p.m. and was seen walking away from the building at 3:30 a.m. Video footage showed him buying cigarettes at a convenience store, but he never returned to the motel, reported the Kansas City Star.

The next morning Daizsa’s body was found in the room, and reportedly, Jerry Bausby lied, saying he had rented a room for her and some of her friends. Investigators reported that Daizsa’s DNA was found on Bausby’s genitals. He allegedly sodomized, then suffocated her.

The girl’s aunt, Gaye Martin, commented on Daizsa’s relationship with her father, per Fox 4 Kansas City.

“Daizsa had a lot of respect for her dad. She trusted her dad… That was the hardest thing to deal with, just to be in Daizsa’s shoes, to see her own father take advantage of her, she was helpless.”

Family also stated that Jerry Bausby would “turn into a different person” when he was high, and Daizsa had previously stated that he desperately needed help.

“She would talk to me and say, he needs to do something about his drug problem.”

On the morning after the prior evening when Daizsa left home to meet her father but did not return home, her mother, Laetta Walker-Bausby, filed a missing-persons report. At that time, she did not know that her daughter had already been found dead by housekeepers in a motel room.

Four days after Daizsa’s death, Walker-Bausby asked for an order of protection against Jerry Bausby and full custody of her remaining children, stating that he may have been involved in her daughter’s death and cited his violent history. The mother also said she feared for her own life and the lives of her other children. On the same day, homicide detectives suspected that Jerry Bausby might be involved and granted the order of protection.

In the past, protection orders had been issued against Jerry Bausby who had abused his wife, but the orders were dismissed. He had also pleaded guilty to two counts of domestic violence, including physical assault against another family member. Records dated back to 1997 show that he was convicted on drug charges. A judge entered a not guilty plea for him in the death of Daizsa, and Bausby is scheduled to appear in court on Oct. 6. He is now being held on a $750,000 cash-only bond.

[Featured Image Courtesy of Jackson County, MO Police]