Police in Chicago allege that three young men, all under the age of 18, followed through on a savage plan to sexually assault, then rob a 30-year-old Rosemoor resident.
According to a report from FOX 32, the group of teenagers, including 16-year-old Dawon Russell, and two others, aged 12 and 15, broke into Monique Isaiah’s South Prairie residence on Sunday, September 14, around 11 p.m., and woke her out of her sleep. They then proceeded to threaten Isaiah with a knife, stating that they were also armed with a gun that would be used if she didn’t have sexual relations with them.
Monique’s mother, Sharon Lowe, relayed her daughter’s telling of the troubling incident with reporters.
“My daughter had dozed off doing some work or whatever,” she stated, “[and] two of them savagely [raped] her. [After that], all three of them [began] ransacking the house, stealing what they could up out of here, and then [left] in her car.”
The preliminary investigation into the crime uncovered that the three young men had been targeting Isaiah for some time, says Ms. Lowe.
“The one that they caught [first] said that they had been watching this house for some time,” she shared. “That’s crazy within itself because they thought [they could get away with] it was just two women [who lived here], myself and [my daughter].”
On the night in question, one of the individuals reportedly made his way into Isaiah’s home through an open window, before opening the front door to allow the other two assailants inside. After making their getaway in Isaiah’s vehicle, they apparently returned the car sometime after, and stole it again the following evening. It was said to have been discovered the second time by law enforcement a few days later.
All three assailants were tracked down in the immediate days following the incident, thanks to one of them tampering with a stolen iPhone that belonged to Isaiah. The 15-year-old was arrested first on September 15, Russell was booked one day after his slightly-younger accomplice on September 16, and the youngest of all of the purported rapists, the 12-year-old, was apprehended on Wednesday, September 21.
They have all been charged with one felony count of home invasion, as well as one felony count of aggravated criminal sexual assault. Russell will be criminalized as an adult for his actions and was also given an added felony charge of receiving and/or possessing a stolen vehicle.
Although it seems she will garner the justice she deserves for the ordeal that she’s gone through, Lowe says her daughter is not out of the proverbial woods just yet, at least not emotionally.
“She has a lot of mental issues to get through to get around something like this,” she admitted, “so, it’s just beginning.”
Despite being charged as an adult, Russell’s mugshot has not been publicly released. As his other two cohorts are minors, it is doubtful that theirs will ever be seen by the public.
In a related story, the backlash surrounding a judge’s lenient sentence of a alleged teen rapist is continuing to make waves in the media.
As noted by the Inquisitr, 19-year-old Kraigen Grooms reportedly assaulted a 1-year-old child in 2013 for the perverse pleasure of a New Orleans resident who watched the act from his home computer. Two weeks ago, Wapello County Judge Randy Degeest imparted a 10-year long suspended prison sentence onto Grooms after he pleaded to one count of engaging in a lascivious act with a child.
According to Gary Oldenburger, the county attorney who overlooked the case, the light sentence was partially due to the fact that Grooms had not supposedly touched the child, but instead, had simply masturbated while standing in the same room as the baby.
Writer’s note: While most sexual assault victims’ identities are kept out of the media for their safety, Monique Isaiah has, as noted by ABC-7 Chicago, allowed it to be publicized in order to share her story.
[Featured Image by carlballou/iStock]