Republican leaders are reportedly planning an intervention for Donald Trump so that he won’t sabotage his own presidential campaign with his controversial statements and crazy antics.
According to the report from NBC News, an alleged well-placed source named Reince Priebus, the RNC head, former New York City mayor Rudy Guiliani, and Newt Gingrich, the former house speaker, among those pushing to convince the billionaire to tone down his speeches.
Apparently, they will also enlist his family into helping them convince the former reality show host to toe the party line.
The bigger question, however, is will Donald Trump listen?
Jim Newell of Slate suggested that it’s the other Republican leaders who should be undergoing intervention, not Trump.
— Slate (@Slate) August 5, 2016
He said that Donald Trump will agree to reason, but only if it’s reasonable in his own mind. Ultimately, he will always do what he always does and that’s to prod, incite and say the most ridiculous things. In effect, he has become a caricature of himself.
In fact, he proposed that it would be even more dangerous to rein in the billionaire because “he gets restless during his cool-down periods.”
“This is just who Trump is,” he wrote. “Everyone knows this, except for folks such as Priebus and Ryan who, rather than let Donald be Donald, on his own dime, and with his own set of validators, still think they can shake Trump out of it with any lasting effect.”
The reported intervention came after the recent word war between the GOP candidate and Khizr and Ghazala Khan, the Gold Star parents of an American Muslim soldier killed in Iraq in 2004.
When Khan spoke at the DNC convention in Philadelphia last week, Donald Trump could have remained silent but that would have been against his outspoken nature. Instead, he noted how Khizr’s wife was standing by his side throughout the whole spiel.
Then he went on to launch a series of stereotypes about women or Muslim women being second-class citizens.
“If you look at his wife, she was standing there,” he told ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos. “She had nothing to say. She probably, maybe she wasn’t allowed to have anything to say.”
If he thought that was funny, nobody is laughing. In fact, a good number of Republican supporters were turned off by Donald Trump’s comments against the Khans and called for the party leadership to intervene.
Hillary Clinton also took the opportunity to rebuke her opponent during a political rally in Ashland, Ohio on Sunday. She said that the GOP candidate had only shown his true colors.
“He called Mexicans rapists and criminals,” the Democratic presidential candidate said. “He said a federal judge was unqualified because he had Mexican heritage — someone born in the neighboring state of Indiana. He’s called women pigs. He’s mocked a reporter with a disability.”
The New York Times described the controversy as the biggest challenge to Donald Trump’s campaign since his racial attacks on Federal Judge Gonzalo Curiel in June of this year. However, the article also noted that the billionaire proved to be very resilient since he surmounted similar controversies in the past and still managed to be the GOP presidential candidate.
There is great unity in my campaign, perhaps greater than ever before. I want to thank everyone for your tremendous support. Beat Crooked H!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 3, 2016
Nevertheless, his campaign spokesperson, Paul Manafort, told Fox that there’s no intervention that will take place regarding Trump. He said that it’s the first time that he’s heard of that report.
“The campaign’s focused and the campaign is moving forward in a positive way,” he said. “The only need we have for an intervention is maybe with some media types who keep saying things that aren’t true.”
— Washington Examiner (@dcexaminer) August 4, 2016
He added that unlike screams of “the sky is falling,” Donald Trump’s campaign “is in good shape.”
So does that mean no apology from Donald Trump is forthcoming?
[Photo by Mark Wallheiser/Getty Images]